Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   WASR 22 (Rimfire AK) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/wasr-22-rimfire-ak-2758/)

Gator Monroe 12-10-2007 04:49 AM

WASR 22 (Rimfire AK)

These Romanian AK variants in .22 cal are fun and cheap ! And almost all AKM/AK furniture and accessories fit so you can create a trick Rifle or cobble a different look from spares and not go broke shootin yerself silly !

notdku 12-10-2007 09:47 PM

Got any pics? How much and where did you get it?

Toxic 12-11-2007 02:47 PM

I have a couple, top is WASR 22 and bottom is AKT-98. Both are Romy/Cugir but the AKT was the first, introduced back in 04 (IIRC).
http://www.firearmstalk.com/gallery/.../22ak_0021.jpg

Gator Monroe 12-12-2007 05:01 PM

Have you staked the Ecentric ejector strength adjustment screw on the bottom of the bolt to the strongest setting ? and did either of your Rimfire AK variants give you FTE hassles or spent casings rattling around in the reciever or vacant gas system ??? (I plugged the gas tube hole in the FSB with a hard rubber plug to keep empties outta the gas system and later set ecentric screw to srongest setting and got a Ribbed Eastern European AKM Dust/Top cover which has completely cured the FTE issues for good ! (Love the way these little beasts can accecept AKM/AK spares and accesories !

Gator Monroe 12-12-2007 05:04 PM

$249.95 Classic Arms (Indian Trail NC) OR check your local Dunhams $225.00 & up (on special)

Toxic 12-13-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator Monroe (Post 12590)
Have you staked the Ecentric ejector strength adjustment screw on the bottom of the bolt to the strongest setting ? and did either of your Rimfire AK variants give you FTE hassles or spent casings rattling around in the reciever or vacant gas system ??? (I plugged the gas tube hole in the FSB with a hard rubber plug to keep empties outta the gas system and later set ecentric screw to srongest setting and got a Ribbed Eastern European AKM Dust/Top cover which has completely cured the FTE issues for good ! (Love the way these little beasts can accecept AKM/AK spares and accesories !

My first AKT -98 was returned to retailer due to all the problems you listed. I received the one in the picture as a replacement and have not had trouble with extracting although some of the spent casings do end up in the gas tube and receiver cavity. The WASR 22 is pretty much the same with the spent casings, but no other probs to date. I may look into opening up the top cover a bit or replacing it all together. Both are great alternatives to the higher priced ammo eaters, plus I can take them to my local range (which wont allow anything other than pistol cal.):mad:

Gator Monroe 12-13-2007 04:05 AM

Toxic did you get Romanian Slings with either of your .22 AK's in the box ? (Keep your Original Top covers Original ,I tried a little roatary die grinder expansion of the opening and it did not help much) just get an AKM or AK dUST/TOP COVER !

Toxic 12-13-2007 02:56 PM

Yeah, I've got the slings but I'm not big on using them. I have a number of slings stashed away, that I have no idea what goes to what anymore. :confused: I keep the stuff for originality sake, but really have no practical use for them. I always carry my firearms in hard cases when I take them out. I think you're right about the top cover, I probably will go with a replacement vs altering the oem piece.

gunhistory501 12-15-2007 11:55 PM

I picked up one of these a while back. It gave me lots of FTE problems. I fixed this by removing the bolt and checking the extractor claw distance to the bolt face. My extractor claw was so far from the bolt face it did not even touch the cartridge case rim. This resulted in the case being extracted then "lost" before it got back to the ejector. I hand made an extractor oversize then fit it to my bolt. It now grasps the case rim and extraction is "controlled" until ejection. I just finished this and test fired it today. It functioned flawlessly with over 70 rounds fired. I made the extractor with a dremel and files. I used cold rolled steel from the local hardware store and hardened it after forming.

Gator Monroe 12-17-2007 04:23 AM

The Ribbed topcover sure helped my fte issues (That and stakeing the Ecentric Ejector strength screw on the bottom of the bolt ...