Walnut stock? I don't know wood.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Walnut stock? I don't know wood.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Walnut stock? I don't know wood.

I have an all weather 10/22 with the synthetic stock. I really don't like the way it feels, so I was interested in getting a wood stock.

I went to the local gunshop and bought an old beat up one for $35. The finish was peeling and it wasn't going to last that way. I started looking around on the internet about refinishing wood rifle stocks, there is a video on redoing a 10/22 stock. It looked easy enough so I figured what the heck, I have plenty of time on my hands.

My intent was to stain it ebony, strip the paint off the barrel band and buttpiece(as they are aluminium), and polish them to match the barrel. I have finished my first layer of stripper and the color isn't coming off, it is a really nice dark brown. The whole receiver/barrel cavity is the same color as the rest of the stock. There is a hole bored into the butt and it is the same color all the way in.

Did ruger build walnut 10/22 stocks?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

Yes they do have some 10/22s in a walnut stock. Walnut has always been the most common wood when working stocks because it's easy, beautiful, and it lasts. American walnut is becoming more rare but with the dozen or more types of walnut available I don't think its going to go away any time soon. More people are moving to laminate and synthetic but I think when it comes to working on a stock walnut is great. After you strip everything off it you should use a white wet rag and a iron and put the wet rag on the stock then use the steam option on the iron and steam the wood. This will pull up any minor dents and pull more color out of the stock. Don't let the rag dry out though. I bought a cheap stock and am going to dye it blue because I always wanted to learn how to dye a stock lol. Hope this helps.

"How about those Navy Seals. We're getting our money's worth there. They broke into Osama bin Laden's compound with 12-foot walls topped by barbed wire, and fired a warning shot into his head." –David Letterman

“Only accurate rifles are interesting,” -Colonel Townsend
Whelen

Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Pics please guys. Look forward to seeing the progress.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #4

I have looked into it more, I have seen the deluxe model with a checkered wood stock and rubber butt plate. This one is not checkered and had the painted metal butt plate.

I tried to get a picture of what I used as stripper, dang glare.

Don't look at the shoes...... don't look at the shoes!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #5

I kind of don't know where to go from here. I was really looking forward to the ebony stained stock.
If this is walnut, I will not go there.

I have not ironed her yet.....................yet. That is my next step.

I will continue with this stock, no stain just 10 coats of birchwood casey Tru-oil.

I still plan on stripping and polishing the barrel band and butt plate.

there will be more pictures

Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #6

It looks like walnut to me but I am no expert. With steaming you can certainly get more color out of it. If you google search walnut blanks you can see pictures of ones unsealed and they can be very light in color so you can probably pull a lot more color out of it during the steaming process.

"How about those Navy Seals. We're getting our money's worth there. They broke into Osama bin Laden's compound with 12-foot walls topped by barbed wire, and fired a warning shot into his head." –David Letterman

Whelen

Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #7

more questions.....

Is polyurithane good enough to cover the metal parts after polishing, or should I use something else?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #8

Got me there I just use a light coating of oil on all my metal parts. I have never tried to use polyurethane. I am curious what others will say to this.

Whelen

Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

If you are stripping the metal parts and want a "bare/raw" look on them you will to use a clear coat on them.
I wouldn't recommend poly.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22000 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

that sure looks like walnut to me too. very dark walnut. i would very lightly sand it with some 320 grit sandpaper after you get any of the dings and dents out and do the Tru-oil you were talking about. the more clear the oil will just bring out the grain pattern without darkening the wood further. the metal pieces, i would get a good grade of clear coat made for metal and put a few very light coats on it.