Volquartsen hammer & hyper velocity ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Volquartsen hammer & hyper velocity ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Volquartsen hammer & hyper velocity ammo

I just installed the Volquartsen target hammer with the reduced pressure spring & love it but I'm concerned due to the slide requiring less pressure to cycle. I shoot all types of ammo including Aguila Super Max which is real hot. If if install a buffer will it limit me to certain rounds? I don't want put the old spring back in until I find out it's giving me misfires. What would y'all suggest?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The buffer doesn't care which type of rounds you are using. Installing one is an easy & inexpensive way to protect the receiver & bolt, especially if you're using hyper velocity rounds. Just lube the old one up good before tapping it out.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTiger View Post
The buffer doesn't care which type of rounds you are using. Installing one is an easy & inexpensive way to protect the receiver & bolt, especially if you're using hyper velocity rounds. Just lube the old one up good before tapping it out.
My stock one falls out on its own. I got the buffer in today & didn't realize I bought a glue stick It shoots good now, & there's one less noise to worry about. Yesterday I tried to rapid fire but the sear wouldn't reengage without racking. I put the old spring back on behind the trigger, it gives a tad more weight but the problem was fixed.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you're talking about the tiny spring behind the trigger, right? not the big one behind the hammer? cause I am about to install the Volquartsen target hammer and the big spring (not the little one) and I'm hoping I don't have the same problem....

Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
you're talking about the tiny spring behind the trigger, right? not the big one behind the hammer? cause I am about to install the Volquartsen target hammer and the big spring (not the little one) and I'm hoping I don't have the same problem....
Correct, the itty-bitty spring right behind the trigger that holds it forward. I keep the stock one on because the VCL spring isn't reliable enough for me to reset the sear.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

how much of a difference in trigger pull does the big spring make? I installed the hammer today but I wasn't able to change the spring. I wanna know if it's worth the effort. the hammer itself seems to have made a big difference. I'll really know for sure when I got to shoot her.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
how much of a difference in trigger pull does the big spring make? I installed the hammer today but I wasn't able to change the spring. I wanna know if it's worth the effort. the hammer itself seems to have made a big difference. I'll really know for sure when I got to shoot her.
I'd go ahead & change over to the lighter VCL spring, if you start getting a sufficient amount of light strikes change it back. I haven't tried just the hammer but I'd say with the stock spring you'll get around a 4lb trigger pull. Changing that sucker is done easier with a vice & fork shaped object to take the pressure off the detachable seat.