Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Volquartsen hammer & hyper velocity ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/volquartsen-hammer-hyper-velocity-ammo-41478/)

Scratchammo 04-19-2011 02:40 AM

Volquartsen hammer & hyper velocity ammo

I just installed the Volquartsen target hammer with the reduced pressure spring & love it but I'm concerned due to the slide requiring less pressure to cycle. I shoot all types of ammo including Aguila Super Max which is real hot. If if install a buffer will it limit me to certain rounds? I don't want put the old spring back in until I find out it's giving me misfires. What would y'all suggest?

KingTiger 04-20-2011 06:46 PM

The buffer doesn't care which type of rounds you are using. Installing one is an easy & inexpensive way to protect the receiver & bolt, especially if you're using hyper velocity rounds. Just lube the old one up good before tapping it out.

Scratchammo 04-22-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTiger (Post 490399)
The buffer doesn't care which type of rounds you are using. Installing one is an easy & inexpensive way to protect the receiver & bolt, especially if you're using hyper velocity rounds. Just lube the old one up good before tapping it out.

My stock one falls out on its own. I got the buffer in today & didn't realize I bought a glue stick :rolleyes: It shoots good now, & there's one less noise to worry about. Yesterday I tried to rapid fire but the sear wouldn't reengage without racking. I put the old spring back on behind the trigger, it gives a tad more weight but the problem was fixed.

ta1588 04-29-2011 01:38 AM

you're talking about the tiny spring behind the trigger, right? not the big one behind the hammer? cause I am about to install the Volquartsen target hammer and the big spring (not the little one) and I'm hoping I don't have the same problem....

Scratchammo 04-29-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta1588 (Post 495202)
you're talking about the tiny spring behind the trigger, right? not the big one behind the hammer? cause I am about to install the Volquartsen target hammer and the big spring (not the little one) and I'm hoping I don't have the same problem....

Correct, the itty-bitty spring right behind the trigger that holds it forward. I keep the stock one on because the VCL spring isn't reliable enough for me to reset the sear.

ta1588 04-30-2011 02:20 AM

how much of a difference in trigger pull does the big spring make? I installed the hammer today but I wasn't able to change the spring. I wanna know if it's worth the effort. the hammer itself seems to have made a big difference. I'll really know for sure when I got to shoot her.

Scratchammo 04-30-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta1588 (Post 495806)
how much of a difference in trigger pull does the big spring make? I installed the hammer today but I wasn't able to change the spring. I wanna know if it's worth the effort. the hammer itself seems to have made a big difference. I'll really know for sure when I got to shoot her.

I'd go ahead & change over to the lighter VCL spring, if you start getting a sufficient amount of light strikes change it back. I haven't tried just the hammer but I'd say with the stock spring you'll get around a 4lb trigger pull. Changing that sucker is done easier with a vice & fork shaped object to take the pressure off the detachable seat.