using a .22 LR for home defense - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

using a .22 LR for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #51
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

You need to use solids in a 22lr pistol since the velocity does not allow for proper expansion and you need all the penetration you can get. Mini Mag 36 grain HP works very well in a rifle and has shown good expansion and good penetration in tests on both jell and meat. The CCI Velocitor looks like it would be the best all around cartridge but I have had reliability issues in semi auto rifles. It needs a heavier recoil spring. Reliability is more important than power.
The 22lr is not the best round for defense but it is better than nothing. I have to look at practice, accuracy and control. It is the easiest round to control and with practice get accurate. A person that could not otherwise handle a larger caliber would be afforded some protection. What good is a 45 if you dont practice, cant handle it and cant hit the target?

Last edited by JTJ; 04-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #52

In my 22lr for self defense my first choice would be cci stingers but they hard to come by so I'm going with the yellow jackets ... They work great in my p22 ...but my first go to pistol is a 1911 45 acp ..

Old 04-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #53

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love the .22 round, and always will. I have a problem, however with trusting my life and the life of those I protect to such a small caliber. It is defiantly better than nothing if it was the only choice. I have personally seen two different occasions where the "bad guys" we're shot with .357 mag. (My personal choice of protection) and did not go down. Both were apprehended later, but, both alive. One was shot 6 times, the other twice. So, I wonder if I will do better at shot placement when it's my turn. All that being said, one correctly placed shot will kill someone easily with a .22
JimRau Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #54
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6415 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Check this article.

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/04/28/rimfire-rumblings/

Old 04-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #55

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I read some good points for the 22. I understand why someone would carry one. Is it the best? No. Is the 9mm the best? No. Is the ? the best? Can you see where I am going with this? There is no one fits all and is the best round.

I picked up a Ruger LCP that my wife wanted. It turned out to be a big mistake. The trigger pull is to long and hard for her. Half the time she can't rack the slide. Now she wants the Ruger LCR. I was thinking of getting her the 38 over the 357. She didn't like the recoil of the 380 so I know she will not be able to handle the 357 so may be I should get her the 22mag in that gun.

What is best for a person is what they can use well. If you can shoot a 44, 45, or a 22 and keep all shots on the target all the time then that is what is working for you. That is what you need to use. It is what you will have the best chance of making it through a bad time with.

Don't let any one tell you that you have to use this or that to be safe. They don't know. They don't know what is going to happen to you or how well you will be able to handle your self. Some people have gotten out of a bad situation using nothing but pepper spray. Others have died with 357 in there hand.

Do I carry a 22 to protect me and mine? No. When I am working around my place I carry a 45. When I am in the woods I carry a 44. Working in the city I have carried 22mag, 38, and a 45. I have been very lucky. I have never had to use any of them to protect me or mine. I am now 62 and hope I spend the rest of my life being just as lucky but I don't count on it. So I still carry. What I carry depends on what I have on, what I am doing and where I am going. Most of the time I will have a Glock 36 on me.

Last edited by Ishooter; 04-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.
JTJ Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #56

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishooter View Post
I read some good points for the 22. I understand why someone would carry one. Is it the best? No. Is the 9mm the best? No. Is the ? the best? Can you see where I am going with this? There is no one fits all and is the best round.

I picked up a Ruger LCP that my wife wanted. It turned out to be a big mistake. The trigger pull is to long and hard for her. Half the time she can't rack the slide. Now she wants the Ruger LCR. I was thinking of getting her the 38 over the 357. She didn't like the recoil of the 380 so I know she will not be able to handle the 357 so may be I should get her the 22mag in that gun.

What is best for a person is what they can use well. If you can shoot a 44, 45, or a 22 and keep all shots on the target all the time then that is what is working for you. That is what you need to use. It is what you will have the best chance of making it through a bad time with.

Don't let any one tell you that you have to use this or that to be safe. They don't know. They don't know what is going to happen to you or how well you will be able to handle your self. Some people have gotten out of a bad situation using nothing but pepper spray. Others have died with 357 in there hand.

Do I carry a 22 to protect me and mine? No. When I am working around my place I carry a 45. When I am in the woods I carry a 44. Working in the city I have carried 22mag, 38, and a 45. I have been very lucky. I have never had to use any of them to protect me or mine. I am now 62 and hope I spend the rest of my life being just as lucky but I don't count on it. So I still carry. What I carry depends on what I have on, what I am doing and where I am going. Most of the time I will have a Glock 36 on me.

The 22 version of the LCR is most likely to have a stiffer trigger pull than the 38/357 version - due to the need for a harder firing pin hit on the rimfire cartridge to reliably denotate the cartridge.
If trigger pull is really a problem for your wife, that may be trouble. You could try them both in a store - that is willing to allow you to dry fire a new revolver - many will not - due to the etching on the cylinder which starts as soon as you start using the gun. But, you may find some places that allow it - if you use snap caps or dead cartridges. I have.

As far as the LCR vs the LCP - I have both (and I have an Smith Airweight 438 38 Special, also) so I have a feel for all of these guns - and my lady friend who has a weak grip and bad shoulder - has the LCP and a Smith Airweight 38 Special - which is very similar to the LCR. She has trouble with semi-auto slides also due to her shoulder trouble and grip, but found that if she practiced with the LCP, she was able to manage it. She really wanted that gun - due to it's concealability - even though she already had the Smith (she has her CCW).

The Smith Airweight (I have one, also) has a substantial kick to it - and a long trigger pull - like the LCP and LCR.
The LCP even though it uses a "lesser" cartridge (380) than the 38, has an even more unpleasant kick to it than the Smith 38.

The "softest" shooting of the three guns is the LCR in 38 Special. Ruger has wrapped rubber grip entirely around the backstrap - which gives you noticeable cushioning - when compared to the Smith 38. The Smith does not extend the rubber around the back of the gun - so your hand is directly exposed to the shock of the kick though the metal frame against your palm. It may not look like much of a difference - but it makes a difference. The size and weight of the guns is nearly the same - so the difference in recoil felt is due to the grip cushioning. The Ruger LCR also has a very smooth trigger pull. Better than the Smith - the publications will back up that opinion. It's pull is well regarded. I'm not saying it's a shorter pull nor am I saying it is easier (less pull needed). I'm saying is is smoother - and well known to be.

So your wife has trouble finding something suitable. So did my friend. Her first gun was a Colt Trooper 357. The wight of that gun makes it pleasant to shoot in 38 Special. But it's not a conceal gun. Then she took her training - and CCW - and wanted a conceal gun. The LCP is excellent for conceal. But when she is out - just using her purse to carry - she almost always has the Smith Airweight 38 - not the LCP. She trusts the revolver to function much more than the semi-auto LCP.

Her story is similar to your wife's - so I thought I would throw it out there, in case it may be of some help to you. She has really appreciated being able to carry a gun - it has given her more peace of mind in doing the things she wants and going the places she wants.

As for me - CCW - and CCW type guns = LCP, Smith 438 Airweight 38 Special, LCR in 38, and LC9 (9mm).
The LCP is the stiffest recoil, the LC9 the softest recoil. What do I carry? Concealed on me - almost exclusively the LCP. It hides so well. (Back pocket holster) I carry the Smith 38 in the car. The LC9, though it is the most powerful of the bunch, the difference in size (it is larger) makes it so I have not made peace with it - and found it in any kind of carry rotation with the others. That's just me, though. I know many will scream and say the LC9 is small and puny - and that they carry a 1911, or maybe even a Desert Eagle . Not for me.
I do have other larger guns - including a 1911 Colt - but do not carry large.

Good luck with your wife's hunt.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #57

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good and accurate points you have, but let me drill down a little deeper. Unfortunately, my family has experience with using a .22LR for home defense and learned much in the process (especially from the homicide investigators)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You need to use solids in a 22lr pistol since the velocity does not allow for proper expansion and you need all the penetration you can get.
Yes, yes, yes, exactly. However, one should also use solids with a rifle. Any kind of an expanding bullet will quickly expand and not sufficiently penetrate a human-sized target. Always use solids. Solids fired out of a rifle will even penetrate ribs and the sternum at close range. (don't know about a pistol)

Apparently, bad guys shot in the chest with a .22 rifle usually die and tend to go down pretty quickly (BG in our house staggered back 7 steps and collapsed). Investigators told me that those shot with a .22 pistol usually experience a much more delayed reaction.

Quote:
Mini Mag 36 grain HP works very well in a rifle and has shown good expansion and good penetration in tests on both jell and meat.
Always use 40 grain bullets. Always. Need the weight to penetrate ribs and muscle walls, cartilage, various chest cavity linings, all of which are very tough and not found in gel nor the soft cuts of meat from the grocery.

Quote:
The CCI Velocitor looks like it would be the best all around cartridge
The Velocitor has a 40 grain bullet (good), but it is a hollow point round (not good). You need maximum penetration with a human. Any 40-grain round nose solid points out there that get 1,400+ FPS out there will do the trick.

Last edited by CoastieGM; 05-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.
People Like This