using a .22 LR for home defense - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > using a .22 LR for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I believe fully that a .22 can work perfectly well. It may not make as big of a hole, however it is a very fast moving bullet and can carry enough momentum to tear up quite a bit on the inside of someone. Is that what I sleep beside? No, I opt for my .45, but in a pinch I would not hesitate to unload some .22 into someone and be fully confident it will put them down.

Guns owned: Phoenix Arms HP22A, Ruger P95, Hi Point 4095ts, Winchester SXP field, Ruger Blackhawk 45LC, Bushmaster Carbon 15, NAA Mini 22lr, Tisas Zig M 1911

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #42

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Doc,

I agree with you. A handgun is always a compromise. However, I don't place myself in the category that "if it doesn't start with a four, it's not a real caliber." Many shooters I've trained have been slight of build or had physical handicaps that precluded the use of a "serious" caliber. I think it's disingenuous to make them think that if they choose a .22 and practice religiously that it's still worthless because they can't handle a "serious" caliber that starts with four.

So it is comforting for those who choose or are limited to a smaller caliber to know that, in real life, it does not take 100 rounds center mass to stop an assailant! It is also good to pay attention to the limitations of any caliber on the list and to know how many rounds it usually takes to stop an assailant in real life. The number of shooters that still believe in a magic "ray gun" effect if they just choose the right gun/ammo/caliber/optic combo is frightening.

Facts are always better than rumor the same as a rifle is always better than a pistol when your life depends on it!
I get it. A .22 LR when it des everything it is supposed to do is definitely nothing to be dismissed entirely. Just be sure as you train people that they understand the limitations and the very real possibility that it may fail to stop someone in any reasonable amount if time.

There was a thread elsewhere on the forums here about a fisherman being killed by a beaver. One person who posted a reply cited an occasion where he fired over ten shots into a beaver that was acting aggressive and failed to stop it.

I've done some trapping in the past and used a .22 on occasion to dispatch a couple beavers that were still alive when I did the daily trap line checks. I never had a beaver not die pretty quick with a single shot from my Ruger Single Six or mkII.

All that was just to say its not always about how something can work, sometimes its about how often is it likely to fail and is that worth the risk?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 AM   #43

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Trying...not ....to make...beaver jokes...

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #44

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I wonder, if i took some cci stingers and made the cavity/hollow point in the tip bigger would it cause more expansion and be better for HD? It would probably lead to reliability issues though...

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #45

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

You want energy dump AND penetration. Now I have Primer1's dilemma...

Anyway, for sound I keep two pair of these in the nightstand and they ain't for sleepin' late. I wouldn't use them as my main hearing protection at an indoor range and only sometimes do I use them at outdoors ranges, but I do use them when I want to hear around me but still mitigate really loud, damaging, sound. .22's outddors, hunting, home-defense if the situation allows...

http://www.earplugstore.com/honobr.html

hocks.gif  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-23-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #46
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I wonder, if i took some cci stingers and made the cavity/hollow point in the tip bigger would it cause more expansion and be better for HD? It would probably lead to reliability issues though...
modifying rimfire ammo or any ammo without know what you are doing, could have results that are not pleasing to you.

best suggestion, buy different ammo.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #47

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Trying...not ....to make...beaver jokes...
I figured that could become a problem. I had to rephrase a few things I had started to write because of the way that they could read.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #48

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Never underestimate how fast a crackhead or methhead can move. Also, someone on that garbage can not realize they are even shot, or not care. They won't go down until they bleed out, which will take longer with a .22 wound. Thats why I use a bigger caliber for h.d.
!!!!HEAD SHOT!!!!! Insta death

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #49

Liked 232 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urquidez

!!!!HEAD SHOT!!!!! Insta death
In the movies yes, real life not always. Still probably the best bet with a .22 though IMO.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #50

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

Center mass in a self defense situation is almost always best. Things happen fast, and most likely you will spend too much time identifying your target than aiming. Shooting a family member, neighbor, or friend playing a prank is a good way to ruin your day, along with the other guy.

Feral cat waterboarder