using a .22 LR for home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > using a .22 LR for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default using a .22 LR for home defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7eCAYv84Kohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7eCAYv84Ko

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Valid points for sure. No question a .22 will kill you as dead as an atomic bomb. A .22's a lot better than a broom handle. That said, I'll stick with something a little bigger.
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Valid points for sure. No question a .22 will kill you as dead as an atomic bomb. A .22's a lot better than a broom handle. That said, I'll stick with something a little bigger.
It's reliability more than stopping power. As long as you have some cci loaded and a tight grouping, you're gone.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #4

Liked 2502 Times on 1627 Posts

Never underestimate how fast a crackhead or methhead can move. Also, someone on that garbage can not realize they are even shot, or not care. They won't go down until they bleed out, which will take longer with a .22 wound. Thats why I use a bigger caliber for h.d.

Feral cat waterboarder

JimRau Likes This 
Old 03-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Never underestimate how fast a crackhead or methhead can move. Also, someone on that garbage can not realize they are even shot, or not care. They won't go down until they bleed out, which will take longer with a .22 wound. Thats why I use a bigger caliber for h.d.
Eh I can see this in certain situations. But go to youtube and go see some ballistics test. At close range, they are very deadly.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1
Agreed. While I also believe a .22 can be effective for SD with good shot placement. It would not be a preference.
Remember the guy who chewed off the face of the homeless guy in Fla.? He was shot four times (probably by a 9mm or .40) before he even stopped chewing. Again I'm not sure where he was struck, but a head shot or center mass shot may not always be available. A B.G. is not likely to stand still while you get in a perfect Weaver stance and get a perfect sight picture. But as we've all heard a .22 beats the hell out of a sharp stick.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I have a S&W 15-22 set up for my wife. She is pretty accurate and fast with it and it is her preferred HD weapon. She has a 9mm but prefers the 22lr rifle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #8

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Suppose, (God forbid), you're confronted with an HD situation and respond with a 22lr. Perfect head shot placement notwithstanding, how would the authorities, (or the BG's attorney), react to Mr. Bad Guy ventilated with 12 or 15 22lr rounds? Just askin.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2937 Times on 1707 Posts
Likes Given: 1753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Suppose, (God forbid), you're confronted with an HD situation and respond with a 22lr. Perfect head shot placement notwithstanding, how would the authorities, (or the BG's attorney), react to Mr. Bad Guy ventilated with 12 or 15 22lr rounds? Just askin.
In that situation, they'd hear the same thing they would hear whether I was protecting myself with a 12 ga., 45 acp., 9mm, etc.

"I kept shooting until I felt he/she was no longer a threat to kill me!"

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
Colby Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
The authorities would think if you only shot them one time is that you weren't actually in fear of your life. If someone only shots the bad guy one time it looks like they are in a controlled state and cool and collected. I've taken a few self defense courses taught by police officers and they all said to pull the trigger until the weapon is empty. How many times have we all read about a bad guy taking the home owner to court after they were shot while breaking into the home and survived.

Like the famous quote says, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than to be carried by six."