Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   using a .22 LR for home defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/using-22-lr-home-defense-87801/)

molonlabexx 03-30-2013 12:00 AM

using a .22 LR for home defense
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7eCAYv84Kohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7eCAYv84Ko

Donn 03-30-2013 12:30 AM

Valid points for sure. No question a .22 will kill you as dead as an atomic bomb. A .22's a lot better than a broom handle. That said, I'll stick with something a little bigger.

molonlabexx 03-30-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn (Post 1196048)
Valid points for sure. No question a .22 will kill you as dead as an atomic bomb. A .22's a lot better than a broom handle. That said, I'll stick with something a little bigger.

It's reliability more than stopping power. As long as you have some cci loaded and a tight grouping, you're gone.

primer1 03-30-2013 02:26 PM

Never underestimate how fast a crackhead or methhead can move. Also, someone on that garbage can not realize they are even shot, or not care. They won't go down until they bleed out, which will take longer with a .22 wound. Thats why I use a bigger caliber for h.d.

molonlabexx 03-30-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer1 (Post 1196682)
Never underestimate how fast a crackhead or methhead can move. Also, someone on that garbage can not realize they are even shot, or not care. They won't go down until they bleed out, which will take longer with a .22 wound. Thats why I use a bigger caliber for h.d.

Eh I can see this in certain situations. But go to youtube and go see some ballistics test. At close range, they are very deadly.

FrontierTCB 03-30-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primer1
Never underestimate how fast a crackhead or methhead can move. Also, someone on that garbage can not realize they are even shot, or not care. They won't go down until they bleed out, which will take longer with a .22 wound. Thats why I use a bigger caliber for h.d.

Agreed. While I also believe a .22 can be effective for SD with good shot placement. It would not be a preference.
Remember the guy who chewed off the face of the homeless guy in Fla.? He was shot four times (probably by a 9mm or .40) before he even stopped chewing. Again I'm not sure where he was struck, but a head shot or center mass shot may not always be available. A B.G. is not likely to stand still while you get in a perfect Weaver stance and get a perfect sight picture. But as we've all heard a .22 beats the hell out of a sharp stick.

JTJ 03-30-2013 10:15 PM

I have a S&W 15-22 set up for my wife. She is pretty accurate and fast with it and it is her preferred HD weapon. She has a 9mm but prefers the 22lr rifle.

Donn 03-31-2013 12:47 AM

Suppose, (God forbid), you're confronted with an HD situation and respond with a 22lr. Perfect head shot placement notwithstanding, how would the authorities, (or the BG's attorney), react to Mr. Bad Guy ventilated with 12 or 15 22lr rounds? Just askin.

eatmydust 03-31-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn (Post 1197387)
Suppose, (God forbid), you're confronted with an HD situation and respond with a 22lr. Perfect head shot placement notwithstanding, how would the authorities, (or the BG's attorney), react to Mr. Bad Guy ventilated with 12 or 15 22lr rounds? Just askin.

In that situation, they'd hear the same thing they would hear whether I was protecting myself with a 12 ga., 45 acp., 9mm, etc.

"I kept shooting until I felt he/she was no longer a threat to kill me!"

BUCSFAN99 03-31-2013 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn
Suppose, (God forbid), you're confronted with an HD situation and respond with a 22lr. Perfect head shot placement notwithstanding, how would the authorities, (or the BG's attorney), react to Mr. Bad Guy ventilated with 12 or 15 22lr rounds? Just askin.

The authorities would think if you only shot them one time is that you weren't actually in fear of your life. If someone only shots the bad guy one time it looks like they are in a controlled state and cool and collected. I've taken a few self defense courses taught by police officers and they all said to pull the trigger until the weapon is empty. How many times have we all read about a bad guy taking the home owner to court after they were shot while breaking into the home and survived.

Like the famous quote says, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than to be carried by six."


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.