Used .22 and Side by Side Shotgun for my son... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Used .22 and Side by Side Shotgun for my son...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Maybe for the shotgun an old Ithaca o/u double barrel featherweight in 20 ga.

EDIT: These may be hard to find, but one will pop up on gunbroker or gunsamerica from time to time.

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 09-11-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #12

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Most kids beat the crap out of a gun. I would look for durability. Anything modern is going to be fairly accurate. For a moment be honest with your self. If you are in an internet forum seeking advice do you think you have the knowledge required to buy a classic weapon? People who have been shooting all their lives, even gunsmiths occasionally buy a broken gun. They leave their bore light at home or overlook a tiny crack in the receiver. Virtually all used gun sales are final. It's not like buying a car, there are no lemon laws to protect you. It's buyer beware!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Most kids beat the crap out of a gun. I would look for durability. Anything modern is going to be fairly accurate. For a moment be honest with your self. If you are in an internet forum seeking advice do you think you have the knowledge required to buy a classic weapon? People who have been shooting all their lives, even gunsmiths occasionally buy a broken gun. They leave their bore light at home or overlook a tiny crack in the receiver. Virtually all used gun sales are final. It's not like buying a car, there are no lemon laws to protect you. It's buyer beware!
We've had this discussion. I'm buying him the .22 for his birthday and he has to buy the shotgun himself and I'll match him, with him paying me back over time. I allow him to tell me no when I ask him or tell him to do something. Ninety percent of the time, he does it, five percent of the time, he has a reason for why he tells me no and it's legitimate. The other five percent of the time, he's just being lazy. There are consequences for all of our choices and he knows this. Don't want to pick up your room or do your choirs? That's fine, no TV, no video games, no toys. As with all of his things, I buy quality, because I want them to last. I would be upset with him if he didn't get a few dings and dents on his shotgun. It's made to bring you enjoyment, and as such it's going to get wear and tear. I can accept that, abuse on the other hand is unacceptable, even adults drop them from time to time. It's also one more thing for him to learn responsibility and consequences with. Didn't clean it? Fine you don't get to use it and we aren't going shooting today. Pointed it in the wrong direction? Now you've lost it and will not get it back until you re-earn my trust with it.
As far as purchasing one, as with anything else, do not purchase it from someone you feel is shady. I would imagine, even a private seller, would be willing to let the riffle or shotgun go to an agreed upon credible gun smith to be inspected before the sale, at my cost. If you aren't willing to do so, chances are I'm not willing to do business with you. I do realize this is not always feasible and as you said I may end up purchasing a broken gun. At the very least, I would hope that a reputable gun dealer would be blunt and honest up front, I/we haven't had a chance to inspect this, there may be damage to it or I/we have tested and to the best of our knowledge there is nothing wrong with it/ We've inspected and tested it and these are the things we've found that need work on this. This is life, nothing is promised or guaranteed.

Old_Crow, I do appreciate your advice and concern. I know I do not have the ability to do what you said. It'll take years for me to learn. It's our right to own and bear arms, as guaranteed by the Second Amendment. It's the responsibility of each generation to pass down the knowledge to those who come after us, so that they have the knowledge and can enjoy it. If we know of shady dealers, I do believe we have a responsibility to warn others about them.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Maybe for the shotgun an old Ithaca o/u double barrel featherweight in 20 ga.

EDIT: These may be hard to find, but one will pop up on gunbroker or gunsamerica from time to time.
We saw one of these the other day, while we were looking at .22s. I wish I had, had my FOID card and some money to put down on it. Out of all of the guns they had in the display cases, he gravitated towards that one, like a moth to a light. If I could have, I would have bought it right there and then.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #15

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenSpeed

We saw one of these the other day, while we were looking at .22s. I wish I had, had my FOID card and some money to put down on it. Out of all of the guns they had in the display cases, he gravitated towards that one, like a moth to a light. If I could have, I would have bought it right there and then.
If you have the chance to get it, it's a pretty awesome gun. I would highly recommend it. Mine has not had a problem ever, and it's about 40 years old.

-Matt

Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

I love these not bolt or clip feed but love them I do
3732 Winchester Model 62 A 22 cal s l lr 1940 Special order? GI#: 100270530
3732 Wichester Model 62 A 22 cal s l lr mfg 12/28/1940, "W" on bottom of receiver by s/n 11502x,"to test quality of bluing or special rifle"page 153 of Schwing book.97 % condition, ...Click for more info
Seller: dawsonsdoubles Area Code: 210 $1,295.00

Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #17

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyeborn
I love these not bolt or clip feed but love them I do
3732 Winchester Model 62 A 22 cal s l lr 1940 Special order? GI#: 100270530
3732 Wichester Model 62 A 22 cal s l lr mfg 12/28/1940, "W" on bottom of receiver by s/n 11502x,"to test quality of bluing or special rifle"page 153 of Schwing book.97 % condition, ...Click for more info
Seller: dawsonsdoubles Area Code: 210 $1,295.00
Magazine not clip bro

Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #18

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
I've always supported the Second Amendment, I’ve just never had anyone to go to a range with to fire off rounds. I worked at a riffle range after high school and before I went into the military. My son is ten, and his mother and I are not together. I've never wanted to have the discussion with his mother about buying him his own .22 and the possible legal battle that may have ensued, I have joint custody. A couple of weeks ago, his mother gave me the green light to buy him a .22 riffle and a side by side shotgun. Her and her fiancee are buying themselves, his step sister, and him Genesis bows for Christmas this year and she's even discussed taking him hunting when he gets a little older. His birthday is in December.
Earlier this year, I bought him a Crossman air soft riffle and hand gun combo package. Both guns are spring fired and shoot at 220 FPS. I talked to him about gun safety and how they could in theory severely injure or kill himself or someone else. I did in fact threaten to take them away and bust his rear end if he screwed up with the gun safety. He's really impressed me with the way he's handled them. At the time I purchased them for him, he had almost talked me into buying him a Daisy Powerline BB Gun. I told him then, if he proved to me he could handle the air soft guns responsibly I would buy the BB gun for him, later in the year. At this point, I see no reason to waste money on a BB gun for him.
He knows he's getting a .22 and a double barrel shotgun for his birthday. We sat down and discussed it, he doesn't want a new .22 or a double barrel shotgun. We both feel they wouldn't have their own character or history if they were new.
From researching .22 riffles for children, what I've decided is a .22 that is bolt action. I would like a bolt action .22 that accepts clips, but has the ability to be loaded without the clip, is capable of having the round removed without it needing to be fired. I want to start him off with iron sights, fiber optic, and then to a scope. In order for him to get one more round, he has to be able to consistently put the round(s) he has through the center of the target or the same hole on the target. Preferably the riffle should be between 50 to a hundred years old. My question is, what riffles are out there presently that are like this? Or better yet, how can I go about finding this information out myself?
As far as the shotgun goes, what gauge should I look for for him? I would like a shotgun that would allow us to shoot at clay pigeons as well as be able to hunt duck, pheasant, quail, and turkey if we choose to later on. What models should I be looking at for both him and myself?
We found a 20 gauge at Cabelas the other day for fifteen hundred, which was about 70 years old and I know he really liked it. I don't have a problem spending that type of money as long as I know it'll bring him years of enjoyment.
I'm sure in another posting this has all been posted, I tried searching but I didn’t find much. Thank you for your help in advance.
how about buying him a new bolt-action .22 rifle? it might not have the "pre-" history, but it's the history that the two of you create (around it) that will be remembered most. trust me.........i have a .22 magnum Marlin Model 25 MN that my dad gave to me. cheap lil rifle, but i cherish it because he bought it for me. i shot the hell outta that thing when i first got it, over 20 years ago. now, i shoot it from time to time, and boy does it remind me of when he and i used to hunt.

as for the shotty, a 20 gauge crack-barrel (single-shot) would be perfect for him @ this stage. when he gets a lil bit older, say 15 or 16, then you can buy him a 20 or 12 gauge semi-auto, or pump (typically a 5 round, tubular magazine, with removable plug to hold a legal 3 rounds). the reason i suggest a single shot, shotgun is because of the weight. givin a child a firearm that is too heavy, and/or too long can cause fatigue quite quickly........leadin to burnout.......leadin to misses......ultimately leadin to a shaky confidence level........then, maybe, leadin to a youngster that doesn't want to shoot anymore because he/she can't hit anything.

whatever you buy, keep it light, manageable, and as closely "fitted" to your son's length of pull as possible.

you two create tons of memories, and happy huntin.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-14-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

for what gauge, i started with 20 gauge at 17 (found the gun in the closet). realistically, all the gauges are similar. you can buy really light loads that barely have any recoil and then you could get triple ought buck. 12 gauge has more variety of factory loads, but 20 requires more skill to hit what you're aiming at. some skeet/trap shooters switch from 12 to 20, then to .410 just for the added challenge.

for a .22, the marlin 39 is thought by some to be the most accurate .22 ever produced. it's a lever action and tube fed, but it'll hold 19 round of .22lr and can also cycle shorts and longs. not having a detachable mag has the advantage of not being able to lose it. and lever actions are just so fun to shoot