Used .22 and Side by Side Shotgun for my son...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Used .22 and Side by Side Shotgun for my son...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Used .22 and Side by Side Shotgun for my son...

I've always supported the Second Amendment, I’ve just never had anyone to go to a range with to fire off rounds. I worked at a riffle range after high school and before I went into the military. My son is ten, and his mother and I are not together. I've never wanted to have the discussion with his mother about buying him his own .22 and the possible legal battle that may have ensued, I have joint custody. A couple of weeks ago, his mother gave me the green light to buy him a .22 riffle and a side by side shotgun. Her and her fiancee are buying themselves, his step sister, and him Genesis bows for Christmas this year and she's even discussed taking him hunting when he gets a little older. His birthday is in December.
Earlier this year, I bought him a Crossman air soft riffle and hand gun combo package. Both guns are spring fired and shoot at 220 FPS. I talked to him about gun safety and how they could in theory severely injure or kill himself or someone else. I did in fact threaten to take them away and bust his rear end if he screwed up with the gun safety. He's really impressed me with the way he's handled them. At the time I purchased them for him, he had almost talked me into buying him a Daisy Powerline BB Gun. I told him then, if he proved to me he could handle the air soft guns responsibly I would buy the BB gun for him, later in the year. At this point, I see no reason to waste money on a BB gun for him.
He knows he's getting a .22 and a double barrel shotgun for his birthday. We sat down and discussed it, he doesn't want a new .22 or a double barrel shotgun. We both feel they wouldn't have their own character or history if they were new.
From researching .22 riffles for children, what I've decided is a .22 that is bolt action. I would like a bolt action .22 that accepts clips, but has the ability to be loaded without the clip, is capable of having the round removed without it needing to be fired. I want to start him off with iron sights, fiber optic, and then to a scope. In order for him to get one more round, he has to be able to consistently put the round(s) he has through the center of the target or the same hole on the target. Preferably the riffle should be between 50 to a hundred years old. My question is, what riffles are out there presently that are like this? Or better yet, how can I go about finding this information out myself?
As far as the shotgun goes, what gauge should I look for for him? I would like a shotgun that would allow us to shoot at clay pigeons as well as be able to hunt duck, pheasant, quail, and turkey if we choose to later on. What models should I be looking at for both him and myself? We found a 20 gauge at Cabelas the other day for fifteen hundred, which was about 70 years old and I know he really liked it. I don't have a problem spending that type of money as long as I know it'll bring him years of enjoyment.
I'm sure in another posting this has all been posted, I tried searching but I didn’t find much. Thank you for your help in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I love that you are getting your child into the sport and supporting the second amendment. I applaud how you've handled things so far but IMHO you are asking too much of the child and the gun. I know guys that have been shooting for 20 years and can't put 2 rounds through the same hole at 50 yards. I would suggest you easy up on him a little. Focus on trigger control and safety and maintenance before you focus on a single ragged hole. Not that that isn't a great goal to have, its just a bit early to aim for.
The likelihood of finding a 70+ year old .22 with fiber optic sights is a bit slim, so if your dead set on that expect to have to put extra money into it. The bolt action is a great idea and I'm sure one of the guys on here will know the perfect model.
You might want to rethink the double barrel also. It might be a bit much for the youngster to start with and not the best option for an all around shotgun. The gauge I'll leave to your discretion. A single shot h&r or a pump action might be a better idea.
Once you've narrowed down your options and you hit the range focus on the basics and make sure you have fun. Cherish the time with your kid and create good memories.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree with mm13.
It is wonderful that you are getting your son into shooting, but take it slow.
A 22 bolt with a MAGAZINE is a great idea for a first gun. As mm13 said if you want an old one with good irons you will be putting some money into it.
As to the double barrel gun, even if it's a 410 bore, the gun will be almost twice the weight as a standard 870 or mossy 500. My first shotgun was a little rosi single shot 20. The thing kicks like a mule, but it was the gun i got my first dove with. A double will be to heavy for the average kid to swing or even hold to shoot accurately. for a shotgun i always recommend the remington 870. It is inexpensive and quality. Buy a youth model in 20ga and he will use the gun for years.
Whatever you decide, focus on safety, and enjoy time with your son.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

tenspeed How old is your son and how big.

If you want a 22 rifle that has history why not also buy the best-Anshultz- You can buy old or new but in a model that has the history behind it and be of the quality to last several generations.
http://www.championshooters.com/Anschutz-sp.ht
OR
http://www.mtguns.com/

I understand you wanting a old classic also for a shot gun but how a bout a adjustable stocked Benneli in a 28ga that should also do all thats needed right now and will make a very skilled shooter out of your son and light enought to handel easily. and enjoy for many years makes for a sgoos sporting clay fun. http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-ultra-light.php

Or the montefeltro combo that offers both a standard stock and a short stock
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-montefeltro.php

I realise these benelli's are not old classics but they do offer a true adjustable stock fit and possibly no hacking of a stock well be needed. No use buying a classic shot gun if it does not fit and that really is a most for skeet and trap.

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-10-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Maybe an old winchester bolt?

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 09-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I applaud how you've handled things so far but IMHO you are asking too much of the child and the gun. I know guys that have been shooting for 20 years and can't put 2 rounds through the same hole at 50 yards. I would suggest you easy up on him a little. Focus on trigger control and safety and maintenance before you focus on a single ragged hole. Not that that isn't a great goal to have, its just a bit early to aim for.
I didn't think it was too early of a goal for him to aim for. I just assumed that with good trigger control, safety, and maintenance, it would happen naturally over time with practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
The likelihood of finding a 70+ year old .22 with fiber optic sights is a bit slim, so if your dead set on that expect to have to put extra money into it. The bolt action is a great idea and I'm sure one of the guys on here will know the perfect model.
Finacially, I'm not really concerned about what I'll spend. I didn't expect to come into this and only put down a few hundred dollars. I know what I can budget and plan for over a year or two period of time. To me I'm not investing in a riffle for my son. I'm making an investment in him and his future. As parents can we put a dollar amount on our children? It's a lot easier to do something right the first time than it is to have to go back and redo it 2 or 3 times.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
tenspeed How old is your son and how big.
My son is about 5 foot and he weighs about 100 lbs. He does play football, baseball, and is involved in Scouts. When he shoots a bow with his mother, he uses either a 35lb recurve or a 30lb compound. He enjoys shooting the recurve more because it's more of a challenge for him. He's far more accurate with the compound though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
If you want a 22 rifle that has history why not also buy the best-Anshultz- You can buy old or new but in a model that has the history behind it and be of the quality to last several generations.
http://www.championshooters.com/Anschutz-sp.ht
OR
http://www.mtguns.com/

I understand you wanting a old classic also for a shot gun but how a bout a adjustable stocked Benneli in a 28ga that should also do all thats needed right now and will make a very skilled shooter out of your son and light enought to handel easily. and enjoy for many years makes for a sgoos sporting clay fun. http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-ultra-light.php

Or the montefeltro combo that offers both a standard stock and a short stock
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-montefeltro.php

I realise these benelli's are not old classics but they do offer a true adjustable stock fit and possibly no hacking of a stock well be needed. No use buying a classic shot gun if it does not fit and that really is a most for skeet and trap.
These are things that I never thought or knew about. I will look at the riffles and shotguns at the links you posted. One thing I don't fully understand, is how do you know what gauge to buy for a child?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Maybe an old winchester?
I defiantly want to get us one of these. I saw an old pump action one at a store the other day. I think it would be awesome for popping rounds off at the old plinket pond. For a long, long time, I never understood why people owned a lot of riffles. While looking for this for him, I've figured it out. It may have no other use, than as a plinket riffle.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #9

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me on the things I need to know so my son and I an enjoyable time learning. As my mom use to say, “They're only little once, enjoy it while you can.”

Old 09-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenSpeed

I defiantly want to get us one of these. I saw an old pump action one at a store the other day. I think it would be awesome for popping rounds off at the old plinket pond. For a long, long time, I never understood why people owned a lot of riffles. While looking for this for him, I've figured it out. It may have no other use, than as a plinket riffle.
I have a model 61 from 1943 it's been in the family for a while. They're a little pricey, but if you can afford one they're definitely worth it.

-Matt