Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > use WHAT 22 ammo in WHICH gun....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2309 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
I've noticed that most posters in this thread are making the same fundamental mistake that posters over at Calguns do:

99.99% of the time it's not the gun...
99.99% of the time it is not the ammo...

99.99% of the time is it YOU that has the compatibility problem!!!

When it comes to FPS pistols and rifles are going to fall into one of three categories:

1. fps limited (Phoenix Arms HP22A - Cheap Sub 200.00)
2. fps open via reconfiguration (Sig Sauer Mosquito - Budget Sub 300.00)
3. fps open without reconfiguration (Ruger SR22, S&W 22A, M&P 22 - Entry and Up 300.00+)

In terms of round profile - the base for .22LR is going to be ROUND NOSE. Hollow point and truncated point require testing - some guns will do fine - some will start to jam, etc.

For round treatment - for standard velocity - LEAD ROUND NOSE IS THE BASE. For high velocity - PLATED ROUND NOSE IS THE BASE.

And for those rare ammos where the casing is a little different - bolt action is where those rounds do best. A bolt action almost guarantees everything will work.

In other words - if you are selecting ammo by brand and model - you are going about it wrong.

Here's how I select ammo for the Phoenix Arms HP22A:

- 950 to 1150 FPS
- ROUND NOSE
- LEAD

Remington Target LEAD ROUND NOSE, Aguila SuperExtra Subsonic LEAD ROUND NOSE, Aguila Standard Velocity LEAD ROUND NOSE, CCI Standard Velocity LEAD ROUND NOSE, Eley Sport, Eley Target, Eley Club, etc...

Those are ALL 1025 FPS to 1150 FPS and LEAD ROUND NOSE.

...and that's exactly what's stated in the manual for the HP22A.

For the Sig Sauer Mosquito - Default High Velocity Spring and Rod:

- 1235 to 1260 FPS
- ROUND NOSE
- PLATED

CCI Mini-Mags COPPER PLATED LEAD ROUND NOSE, Fiocchi High Velocity FHVCRN, Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity COPPER PLATED LEAD ROUND NOSE, etc.

Notice - NOT CCI Mini-Mag COPPER PLATED HOLLOW POINT!!! NO!!!

COPPER PLATED ROUND NOSE!!!

For the Henry AR-7:

- 1235 to 1260 FPS
- ROUND NOSE
- PLATED

See same list for the Sig Mosquito. The Henry AR-7 munches through those like a cow grazing on grass...

Now the HP22A is FPS fixed into one range. It costs 130.00 to 160.00 in CA. The Mosquito is open BUT requires a quick rod and spring change for standard velocity. It costs about 290.00-300.00 in CA.

When you pay and extra 30.00-50.00 for the Ruger SR22 - you're paying for a firearm than can handle a bigger range of FPS, profile and finish treatment IN ONE CONFIGURATION. It costs about 330.00 in CA. Once you get to the Walther P22 and the M&P 22 - now you are in the 400.00+ ballpark. You get what you pay for...

So once again folks...it's not the gun...and it's not ammo brand or model.

It's YOU not taking the time to research your firearms ammo FPS, Profile and Finish requirements.

My HP22A, Mosquito and AR-7 have been trouble free because I took the time to do the homework and then selecting the correct ammo for them by specification - NOT by brand or model.

Pretty soon, I'm gonna have some fun with my Savage MK II F. Cause I know as a bolt action it'll slurp my hollow point and lead round nose high velocity rounds without blinking an eye. I might even try out some Aguila Hyper Velocity...just for fun.

=8-)
thanks...informative post....i will keep this in mind and see if it holds true.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
thanks...informative post....i will keep this in mind and see if it holds true.
You're welcome...

=8-)

Debating the result of a debate is in itself sedition...