U22 Neos Beretta Pistol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > U22 Neos Beretta Pistol

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default

Quote:
The extrator problem has been overcome, so don't fret over that.
Really how have they done that? I have had mine since 2005 and they have not changed the extractor. This Pistol has also been made under three different companies and guess what the extractor has been the week link in every single design.

Like I said it is not a big deal it is $3 in parts to fix it.
__________________
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

To follow ATF laws, you MUST dissassemble/reassemble in a particular fashion.

1. remove the pistol barrel from the frame.
2. attach the stock to the frame to make it a carbine stock.
3. attach the carbine barrel to complete the modification.

When changing from Carbine to Pistol...

4. remove the carbine barrel from the frame.
5. remove the stock from the frame.
6. attach the pistol barrel to the frame.

By doing the steps in that order, you never create an SBR, which requires a Tax Stamp.

See also the ATF info on the Fiala pistol/carbine conversion of 1930-ish origins to hear the exact same thing

__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Antipolo City,Philippines
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markej4801 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people who don't own the gun can have such wonderfully strong opinions of the gun. I have owned the Neos (6" barrel with Stainless "Inox" finish) for almost 3 years and have been pleased with it overall. I had the extractor problem mentioned, contacted Beretta who took it back and repaired it and have not had the problem since. The extrator problem has been overcome, so don't fret over that. It eats all ammo I give to it without problem, from sub-sonic to hypersonic.

I also recently purchased the carbine conversion kit and have had a small problem with that. Beretta asked me to ship it to them to see what might be at issue. I sent it off yesterday and they will receive it Friday. We shall see what comes of that. The problem I was having was that the trigger wouldn't reset with the charging process. I have been pleased with Beretta's service, so see no reason to fear here. The conversion kit here in the USA is completely legal if you do ALL the conversion, either way. You cannot legally make it a short-barreled rifle, so don't even think about that. The carbine balances beautifully and is loads of fun!

If you want a good .22 plinker, this one will certainly fill the bill and it will give you good service.
@Markej4801,

Thank you for the review. I ordered mine already and will have it in 15 days(due to licensing)... I didn't order the carbine kit as I already have a 22lr rifle and it costs twice the price there in the US compare to our price here... I ordered the 6" barreled blued finish. I'll use it in our group rimfire shoots locally. Our group is starting to grow and we'll soon add rimfire pistols in our shoots(we're presently shooting rimfire rifles)....hope by them, I'm very well familiar with the U22 Neos...

Thanks again and best regards from the Philippines,
cgdeleon
__________________
cgdeleon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Antipolo City,Philippines
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
To follow ATF laws, you MUST dissassemble/reassemble in a particular fashion.

1. remove the pistol barrel from the frame.
2. attach the stock to the frame to make it a carbine stock.
3. attach the carbine barrel to complete the modification.

When changing from Carbine to Pistol...

4. remove the carbine barrel from the frame.
5. remove the stock from the frame.
6. attach the pistol barrel to the frame.

By doing the steps in that order, you never create an SBR, which requires a Tax Stamp.

See also the ATF info on the Fiala pistol/carbine conversion of 1930-ish origins to hear the exact same thing
Thank you, Big Shrek!! Noted...if ever i buy the kit...i'll take note of these... :-)
__________________
cgdeleon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
big shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,310
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Default

How are the laws in the P.I.??
Your laws may be quite different than those of the USA...

Probably less of a pain in the rump than ours...as the folks in P.I. remember what happened when the Japanese tried to disarm them...
the Japanese weren't the best guests during WW2

__________________

Calico Specialist
Marlin Specialist
I'm not just Trigger Happy, I'm Trigger Ecstatic!!

big shrek is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arlington, TX,Lone Star State
Posts: 12
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markej4801 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people who don't own the gun can have such wonderfully strong opinions of the gun. I have owned the Neos (6" barrel with Stainless "Inox" finish) for almost 3 years and have been pleased with it overall. I had the extractor problem mentioned, contacted Beretta who took it back and repaired it and have not had the problem since. The extrator problem has been overcome, so don't fret over that. It eats all ammo I give to it without problem, from sub-sonic to hypersonic.

I also recently purchased the carbine conversion kit and have had a small problem with that. Beretta asked me to ship it to them to see what might be at issue. I sent it off yesterday and they will receive it Friday. We shall see what comes of that. The problem I was having was that the trigger wouldn't reset with the charging process. I have been pleased with Beretta's service, so see no reason to fear here. The conversion kit here in the USA is completely legal if you do ALL the conversion, either way. You cannot legally make it a short-barreled rifle, so don't even think about that. The carbine balances beautifully and is loads of fun!

If you want a good .22 plinker, this one will certainly fill the bill and it will give you good service.
Just as an update, I received my Neos back on Friday (out of my house total of 9 days). I have it in mind to take it to the range today for testing and will get back with a report. I have heard so many bad things about Beretta's support and will agree that their website is horrendously bad at being supportive. That being said, this is twice now that I have sent this gun to them for separate issues and BOTH times I have received rapid, no hassle service. If only they could get their communications together they would be a top-notch service center.
__________________
markej4801 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Antipolo City,Philippines
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
How are the laws in the P.I.??
Your laws may be quite different than those of the USA...

Probably less of a pain in the rump than ours...as the folks in P.I. remember what happened when the Japanese tried to disarm them...
the Japanese weren't the best guests during WW2
Firearms laws here? If you want to buy a gun and you're a private citizen, just bring a police clearance taken from your local police department, IDs and the money to pay for it, you'll have your gun in 15-30 days...BUT...you cannot bring it anywhere. You have to have a Permit To Carry(PTC) for your gun which costs ranging from US$150-200 to get and its good for 1 year use only renewable every year...

If you're a gun club member, you can get a Permit To Transport(PTT) for your gun from your house to the range which is good for 3 months costing around US$25, much cheaper. Gun club membership ranges from US$50-75...with privileges like free use of the range...discounted reloading, and discounted purchases...

The problem here is buying accessories from there in the US or any part of the world... when the item reached here, its already 3x the price..:-(

regards,
cgdeleon
__________________
cgdeleon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Antipolo City,Philippines
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markej4801 View Post
Just as an update, I received my Neos back on Friday (out of my house total of 9 days). I have it in mind to take it to the range today for testing and will get back with a report. I have heard so many bad things about Beretta's support and will agree that their website is horrendously bad at being supportive. That being said, this is twice now that I have sent this gun to them for separate issues and BOTH times I have received rapid, no hassle service. If only they could get their communications together they would be a top-notch service center.
Any reviews Bro?
__________________
cgdeleon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,592
Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgdeleon View Post
Any reviews Bro?
I fired one last weekend very nice shooting gun seemed accurate. Was shooting dirt clods at 25 yds. My only gripes were the controls werent at all intuitive. Seemed to be layed out with looks rather than functionality in mind.

A huge negative was the mags seated below flush making it harder to reload.

Magazine was very easy to load for a 22lr

If it had better ergonomics it would be direct competition for the ruger mk series
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arlington, TX,Lone Star State
Posts: 12
Likes Given: 1

Default Carbine review

OK, got it back from the repair shop and have finally gotten to the range. I like it as a carbine, but LOVE it as a pistol as well. The one thing I've seen happen is that the take-down nut is harder to use at present. Go figure. Guess I'll have to assemble/disassemble multiple times and with a good amount of lube to make it all better.

As to the previously mentioned problem of proper charging, I have seen no problems, so that is solved. I'm a happy camper on that level. The accuracy, as you might imagine is better as a carbine. There is a note that comes with the kit that states since your face is so close to the receiver, you will notice more dirt from firing blowing into your face. I did. Seems like a flintlock black powder gun on that level, with all the smoke "right there"! Being a leftie, it's even more noticeable.

Also, there is an orange note on the buttstock that tells you to keep behind it if you don't want your nose smacked (my wording). It's right. Don't close up on that or the slide'll "git'cha." You'd be hard pressed to close up that tight anyway, but you have been warned.

As to sights, the "iron sights" that come with the carbine are almost a laughing stock. I put a reflex sight on it and am quite happy. As a pistol, the standards are quite good. The carbine has an orange optic sight, but it's so small as to be non-existant. It's very light and doesn't change the balance, so no problem.

Overall, I think the carbine kit is a good buy, especially if you like a combo gun setup of this nature. Light, quick, easy to convert and killer looks. Loads of fun for anyone and (being a .22) cheap as dirt to shoot. Get one.

__________________
markej4801 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
My Neos blew the extractor off today. cpttango30 Gunsmithing Forum 11 08-03-2011 04:26 PM
Beretta NEOS recall Jpyle General Handgun Discussion 1 12-29-2010 05:41 AM
Beretta Neos, Browning Buckmark, or Ruger Mark III greenr19 General Handgun Discussion 11 06-28-2009 02:33 AM



Newest Threads