Tyrol Model 5022
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Tyrol Model 5022

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tyrol Model 5022

I recently added an Austrian made Tyrol Model 5022 5-shot bolt action rifle to my collection. I know very little about this little .22 and have failed to find any reference to it on the net or in my library.

It was a little shabby when I collected it, but I have since stripped back the varnished stock to find that it is made of beautifully figured European walnut. I plan to refinish it in oil and reblue the barrel and fittings.

It shoots accurately and has such high-end features as a spoon bolt handle, fine chequering one would expect to find on expensive custom rifles, a hooded front sight with removable blade and a finely machined dovetailed windage-adjustable rear sight that allows the rear sight to be moved about 12 inches back and forth in a channel along the barrel. I assume this is to allow ideal focussing. The entire sight can also be removed (when using a scope) by loosening a knurled-nut.

Some shooting mates of European background claim it was manufactured in Austria as a competitor to the Anchutz. By the looks of it, it is not a target/competition rifle - just a well-made and attractive utility/bunny gun.

I have owned many .22 rifles here in Australia since I was 16 and have never ever come across one before. There is a good chance they were never imported into Australia or the US and those in existence outside Europe may have been WW2 war trophies souvenired by occupation troops when the public was disarmed.

A nice little rifle I would like to know more about.

Anyone with any info on the Austrian Tyrol Model 5022?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango1 View Post
I recently added an Austrian made Tyrol Model 5022 5-shot bolt action rifle to my collection. I know very little about this little .22 and have failed to find any reference to it on the net or in my library.

It was a little shabby when I collected it, but I have since stripped back the varnished stock to find that it is made of beautifully figured European walnut. I plan to refinish it in oil and reblue the barrel and fittings.

It shoots accurately and has such high-end features as a spoon bolt handle, fine chequering one would expect to find on expensive custom rifles, a hooded front sight with removable blade and a finely machined dovetailed windage-adjustable rear sight that allows the rear sight to be moved about 12 inches back and forth in a channel along the barrel. I assume this is to allow ideal focussing. The entire sight can also be removed (when using a scope) by loosening a knurled-nut.

Some shooting mates of European background claim it was manufactured in Austria as a competitor to the Anchutz. By the looks of it, it is not a target/competition rifle - just a well-made and attractive utility/bunny gun.

I have owned many .22 rifles here in Australia since I was 16 and have never ever come across one before. There is a good chance they were never imported into Australia or the US and those in existence outside Europe may have been WW2 war trophies souvenired by occupation troops when the public was disarmed.

Hello
I was wondering if you could post a picture of the tyrol 5022
Thanks

Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #3

i also have a tyrol 5022 but dont know the history other than it shoots as well as any brno or anschutz i have owned nice timber and features but a fairly rugged style of safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango1 View Post

Old 10-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #4

Default Tyrol 5 shot bolt action .22

I can't shed any more light on the history of the Tyrol, all I can say is my dad paid 150 pounds for it 50 odd years ago and handed it down to me. It is a real straight shooter, I have a scope mounted on it and prduces consitently tight groupings. I am amazed other people out there own the same rifle.
cheers John

Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #5

Default outcast

I too have a mod 5022. The last time it was fired was Dec 1956. This was my first gun from my father and we used to shoot often until the firing pin failed to fire. I just got this gun back from my son-in-law who has misled me for 10 years about his ability to fix the firing pin. The stock is in good shape except for some indentations, looks like something was pressed into the stock in several spots.

Over the years of travel and relocations I have lost the four clips I had. Does anyone have a source for the ammo clip?

Old 11-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #6

Does anyone have a source for the ammo clip?[/QUOTE]

Hello!
I was buy my Tyrol 5022 without bullet magazine, before some years in gunstore in Austria. After I was refresh a stock, built-in mini-mauser scopepads and put Zeiss Jena 4x32 scope. After I was find and buy also Tyrol 4,5mm airrifle on secondhand..
I also have same problem with clip("magazine"),but I give to my gunmaker to make a new one. It is pretty dificult to find one, but you have some Tyrol magazines on http://www.k-mag.co.za/rifles.htm, so you can order if they can export to you..