Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Types of .22 ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/types-22-ammo-25230/)

phoinixbird 03-27-2010 02:09 AM

Types of .22 ammo

I have a Marlin .22 Glenfield Model 60. I'm just starting to use the rifle at the range and I'm just starting to learn about different ammo. My question is can I use .22 MWR TMJ High Velocity ammo in this rifle. The last time I fired the rifle I was using High Velocity LR ammo (which worked great) and this time I bought a different kind by accident (which is longer). If I need to take it back that's fine it's just that I'm going to the range tomorrow morning. If you can add any info on different .22 ammo out there I would much appreciate it. Thanks!

Rick1967 03-27-2010 02:16 AM

I think you mean 22wmr. Anyway, if it is longer than the 22lr it is a 22 mag. Don't try to shoot it out of your rifle. The two rounds are not interchangable. I also hate to be the bearer of bad news. But to the best of my knowledge it is illegal for the store to accept a return of ammunition. You are probably stuck with it. I am sure that someone else will chime in if I am wrong. But I am pretty sure. I don't think it is just a Colorado law either.

I bet someone here would be happy to take it off your hands though. I don't have a 22 mag. Otherwise I would offer to.

phoinixbird 03-27-2010 02:41 AM

Thanks Rick1967, I would have hated damaging the gun or worse myself. Ammo sales are final in Indiana too. I guess it's time to buy another gun :-)

Txhillbilly 03-27-2010 02:46 AM

Want some choices? Here you go!

22ammo.com

M14sRock 03-27-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoinixbird (Post 258331)
Thanks Rick1967, I would have hated damaging the gun or worse myself. Ammo sales are final in Indiana too. I guess it's time to buy another gun :-)

I like your attitude!

RedJeep2002 03-30-2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

are you a member of the range you go to? is the range open to the public? and where at in indiana is it? maybe we can go shooting there sometime.

efaz1 03-30-2010 05:57 AM

I don't believe it is law here in AZ, but I don't know anyone who takes returns on ammo just the same.

*edit* upon examination of CRS, and ARS, I see no state laws regarding laws forbidding returns, but on several forums search results yielded the explanation of someone opening the package taking the factory ammo out and replacing with reloaded ammo, then an incident happening with the reloads and possible lawsuits...thus the store owner cannot guarantee the authenticity of ammo *edit*

Madderdaddy 03-30-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Put it for sale on armslist, but thats having the ammo laying around is a good excuse to tell the old lady you need another gun:D

phoinixbird 03-31-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedJeep2002 (Post 260395)
are you a member of the range you go to? is the range open to the public? and where at in indiana is it? maybe we can go shooting there sometime.

It's in New Castle, IN it's at the Wilbur Wright FWA. It's open to the public and it's free! The range has 25 yd (handgun/rifle), 50 yd (rifle), and 75 yd (shotgun) lanes. It's a nice location, the 50 yd is covered, and it's paper targets only. Make sure to bring something to attach them with.

phoinixbird 04-11-2010 08:13 PM

Alright, I gave up and traded it for some .22LR ammo, lesson learned.