Tube fed bolt acdtion 22 rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Tube fed bolt acdtion 22 rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tube fed bolt acdtion 22 rifle

Christmas is coming and my ten-year-old great grandson has his heart set on a 22. As usual it is up to gramps to get the young one started. Being from the old school I don’t much like clip fed rifles and don’t think that a kid should start out with a semi-auto. I am looking for a tube fed bolt with a real wooden stock. I would like to get him something that will last him the rest of his life like my old Stevens Springfield has me. None of the gun shops I have visited or called stock such an animal and didn’t know if anyone still makes them. Do any of know who might make them and where I could lay my hands on one? Help an old man out would you.

Last edited by Walley; 12-01-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: correction

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try this:

Marlin Model 983 Bolt Action Tube Fed Rimfire Rifle 983, 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, 22", American

Marlin Model 983 Bolt Action Tube Fed Rimfire Rifle 983S, 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, 22", Brown L

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #3

Default 22 Bolt action

if they are a gun shop they can order one for you, the big box stores
are hard to get them to order anything, it will cost a little more but go to your local gun store you get the service, ask if can get one from there jobber for you
SID

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Canebrake

Thank you for your rapid response. I am just a little uncomfortable getting a ten-year-old a magnum. I just might end up doing it anyway or getting him a Henry Golden Boy. All kids love lever actions.

Jsid6g

The store I went to and the ones I called are all gun shops. Up here the closest one to me is 28 miles away and the others are all over 50. I have never purchased a weapon from a big box store and never will. I will not even buy ammunition from one. When I go to the counter I like to talk with a person who knows the difference between a hot load and a hot dog. Luckily two brothers who are avid hunters own our local hardware store. They come out and shoot at my place almost every Sunday afternoon during the spring and summer. They do stock a few guns and most of the ammunition and supplies us local yokels need and try to get us whatever they don’t have on hand for you as quickly as possible. They tried to find the gun I have been looking for but struck out.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #5

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does he (you) have his (your) heart set on a bolt action?

Why not look into a lever action? I recently bought a Henry and I am absolutely in love with it, and it meets all your desires, aside from being bolt. Probably a bit easier to find the tube fed lever action than a tube fed bolt.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Doc.

The main reason I am looking for a new bolt action is that I have taught my five children, 17 grandchildren, about 20 nieces and nephews and now the little guy to shoot with my old Stevens Springfield. I feel that a bolt action is best for someone to learn with. Another thing is when they bring the little guy up here the first thing he say to me is “old gramps when can we take my gun out and shoot”. His gun my ass. That old girl isn’t going anywhere until I am long gone.

If I can’t find the bolt action he will most likely be getting a Golden Boy. It won’t be the youth model I would rather get him something he can grow into and use as an adult.

I know that he would fall in love with a lever action; I did when I was about six with a Red Ryder BB gun. I still have the Winchester 94 30-30 I bought for myself as high school graduation present back in 1955. Although I live in a shot gun/black powder only area I still take it out and shoot with it about five or six times a year. In fact my wife is fond of saying “When that old fool does turn up his toes I am going to have to put that damn gun in the coffin with him or he will never rest in peace”.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For a starter 22 I shy away from any type of tube feed- under the barrel tube places the muzzle too near a novices head--stock feed allows the barrel to be too close to the ground and might pick up an obstruction or a shot foot
Also they are more difficult to verify they are cleared as a round may have been held up in the tube only to feed later
I would suggest any rifle have a magazine to allow single shot easily, easy to clear and verify the weapon is cleared ie. magazine removed, chamber empty= cleared. Also a magazine allows rapid loading when needed and allows the magazine and ammunition to be locked up safely

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
Canebrake
Thank you for your rapid response. I am just a little uncomfortable getting a ten-year-old a magnum. I just might end up doing it anyway or getting him a Henry Golden Boy. All kids love lever actions.
Both those rifles are chambered in .22short/long/long rifle.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 983
Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
Action :Bolt Action
Caliber :22 Short/Long/Long Rifle
Barrel Length :22"
Capacity :12 +1
Trigger :Single Stage
Safety :Thumb safety
Length :41"
Weight :6 lbs
Stock :American Walnut
Finish :Blue

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 983S
Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
Action :Bolt Action
Caliber :22 Short/Long/Long Rifle
Barrel Length :22"
Capacity :12 +1
Trigger :Single Stage
Safety :Thumb safety
Length :41"
Weight :6 lbs
Stock :Brown Laminate
Finish :Stainless Steel

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about a Mossberg 702 it has a 10 round mag got one for my son' first gun.

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
For a starter 22 I shy away from any type of tube feed- under the barrel tube places the muzzle too near a novices head--stock feed allows the barrel to be too close to the ground and might pick up an obstruction or a shot foot
Also they are more difficult to verify they are cleared as a round may have been held up in the tube only to feed later
I would suggest any rifle have a magazine to allow single shot easily, easy to clear and verify the weapon is cleared ie. magazine removed, chamber empty= cleared. Also a magazine allows rapid loading when needed and allows the magazine and ammunition to be locked up safely
I don’t at all agree with your hypotheses but mean no disrespect by not doing so.

I ended up buying the little guy a Henry Golden Boy. I can hardly wait the see the smile on his face Christmas morning. His father is a state trooper so I am confident that the gun will be stored safely at his home.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel