Trying To Identify A .22 Rimfire
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Trying To Identify A .22 Rimfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trying To Identify A .22 Rimfire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for help identifying a .22 Rimfire Rifle. I am sure that it has no real value other than sentimental value to me. My first rifle was one of these units and I thought it would be cool to try to find one to start my daughter out on the same thing daddy started with. Anyway here is what I can remember about it: It was a single shot bolt action .22 rimfire. It was purchased in the mid 80's in Northeastern Pennsylvania from Laneco Sporting Goods. It had a very plain basic stock and bolt. The forend of the rifle was a cut 45 degree angle versus a rounded front. It came open sights but was drilled and tapped to attach a scope. It shot shorts and long rifles. The safety mechanism was such that the back of the bolt actually pulled back and turned downward and matched up to a ridge on the bolt itself to be in the firing position. Any help identifying who made this - what model it is - etc. would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hi there, if you want to get down to finding "The One", I would haunt used gun stores and gunshows, online auctions with pictures etc. might help you find the model you seek. Good luck. I will keep an eye out for that 45* cut forend.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A lot of the older Marlin bolt actions were made with that style stock shape. Check old model Marlins 1st. Pictures would help TREMENDOUSLY.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Go over to auctionarms.com, and search for closed auctions, rifles, use 22 as the desciption. Now go thru and look at the pretty pictures. You may find yours. Another way would be to buy a copy of Gun Traders Guide (fairly cheap in paperback) and thumb thru the rifles until you fin one that looks like yours. Likely a Savage/Springfield/Stevens, or Marlin.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #5

Default Hope this helps

I see everyone giving their way of finding this gun, here is how I'd start...
Go to Google, punch in .22 Bolt Rifle and then go to Images. There should be about 138,000 gun pictures to thumb through and see if you spot the one from your past.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
A lot of the older Marlin bolt actions were made with that style stock shape. Check old model Marlins 1st. Pictures would help TREMENDOUSLY.
Marlin is a good guess.

Another perhaps maker, may have been a "Cooey" (these were made in Ontario Canada 1903-1961 or so?) They were later bought out by Olin (Winchester Western Canada Division) in the early 60's

Old 01-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey everybody-RugerMike is a friend of mine with more gunsmithing experience that I have-35 years vs 27+. he really knows his stuff.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggler72 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for help identifying a .22 Rimfire Rifle. I am sure that it has no real value other than sentimental value to me. My first rifle was one of these units and I thought it would be cool to try to find one to start my daughter out on the same thing daddy started with. Anyway here is what I can remember about it: It was a single shot bolt action .22 rimfire. It was purchased in the mid 80's in Northeastern Pennsylvania from Laneco Sporting Goods. It had a very plain basic stock and bolt. The forend of the rifle was a cut 45 degree angle versus a rounded front. It came open sights but was drilled and tapped to attach a scope. It shot shorts and long rifles. The safety mechanism was such that the back of the bolt actually pulled back and turned downward and matched up to a ridge on the bolt itself to be in the firing position. Any help identifying who made this - what model it is - etc. would be much appreciated.
If you have a pic, it would take less time

If you are working from memory, the pic search is the way to go.

Even an old black & white photo can give us old geezers a more specific clue