Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Is it true that the only gun that can truely be silenced in a .22 ruger? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/true-only-gun-can-truely-silenced-22-ruger-43984/)

Tazorac 06-17-2011 10:16 AM

Is it true that the only gun that can truely be silenced in a .22 ruger?

I've read that the only gun that can truly be silenced is a .22 ruger..is that true? I'm a gun novice

opaww 06-17-2011 11:23 AM

No many guns can be silenced; the effectiveness of a suppressed weapon is dependent on the quality of the suppresser and the ammo being subsonic. The SIG mosquito and the Walther P22 are among the most suppressed pistols in society today.

Do a youtube search for silenced hand guns and you can view many guns on there that are silenced and see for yourself.

dnthmn2004 06-17-2011 12:01 PM

The state of being 'silenced' or suppressed (correct term), is the noise being below a certain decibel level. Many firearms are very capable of reaching below that level, even shotguns.

c3shooter 06-17-2011 01:07 PM

There are 3 components of noise- muzzle blast, bullet breaking sound barrier, and action cycling. The Ruger does OK, but there ARE quieter suppressed guns.

And be careful about taking advice on other matters from the person that told you that.

winds-of-change 06-17-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 524494)
YouTube - ‪Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA)‬‏

There are 3 components of noise- muzzle blast, bullet breaking sound barrier, and action cycling. The Ruger does OK, but there ARE quieter suppressed guns.

And be careful about taking advice on other matters from the person that told you that.

I am absolutely amazed at how quiet that is. :eek:

sparky80 06-18-2011 12:12 PM

I shot a silenced P22 last week and could'nt believe how quiet it was. Sounded like an air rifle. I'm saving for my own now.:D

c3shooter 06-18-2011 03:54 PM

The quietest suppressed firearm I have shot was a Delisle carbine. Mating of a Lee Enfield to a Thompson barrel, BIG suppressor, caliber .45 ACP. So quiet, you would hear the firing pin hit the primer.

Hawg 06-18-2011 04:35 PM

There's a lot of semi autos that are so quiet all you hear is the bolt working but you'd be surprised how loud the bullet impact is even from a .22.

Dillinger 06-18-2011 04:43 PM

The very nature of the question negates the answer.

Suppressors exist in many shapes and forms. Facts being facts a rifle would be easier to suppress then a pistol due to the length of the barrel and the ability to build the suppressor around the barrel, thus adding more baffles to reduce the ballastic crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.

Thus, in short? No. The Ruger is not the only weapon that can be suppressed.

JD

Rex in OTZ 06-20-2011 10:18 PM

Rugers are noisey

A boltaction would make more sense, the 10/22 is still going to blow back the bolt and thers noise comes from that, Ever see one fired at night the flash from the ejection port?
The quietest rifle I'd ever fired was a std length boltaction (81 marlin) useing std velocity short ammo, the same would go for the CB caps.
Used to shoot CB's all the time in our Collage dorm room, never any complaints from the neighboring rooms.