True or false - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

True or false

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Here is my S&W 686 357mag's crown. I clean it from the muzzle bumping the brass rod into the crown on every stroke; I've been doing it that way for 3 years... the brush travels in both directions on it.
True or false - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion

This video shows the last group taken with it.

Here is the muzzle of my Winchester 94. I also clean it from the muzzle, have been doing it that way for 30 years... the brush only travels to the throat.

Here is the last group I've taken with it.

Here is the latest pictures taken of the throat and such.

Last edited by The_Kid; 02-28-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: added information

Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2109 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 4544

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I try to follow that though I don't know if it's necessary. Except I can't do it on my revolver due to the physical configuration of the gun. You can't enter the barrel from the back where the bullet enters. The frame of the gun is in the way.
I have a cleaning rod that is flexible that allows you to clean the barrel from the back. It is made by Pro-Shot:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PXCH1&s rc=tpMfg

Otis 22 to 45 Caliber Pistol Cleaning System

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412497/otis-22-to-45-caliber-pistol-cleaning-system

Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8900 Times on 5324 Posts
Likes Given: 11898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I have a cleaning rod that is flexible that allows you to clean the barrel from the back. It is made by Pro-Shot:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PXCH1&s rc=tpMfg

Otis 22 to 45 Caliber Pistol Cleaning System

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412497/otis-22-to-45-caliber-pistol-cleaning-system
Thanks. I will look into that. But aren't you then scratching the barrel at the breech end?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2109 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 4544

Quote:
Thanks. I will look into that. But aren't you then scratching the barrel at the breech end?
I have been running a plastic tip, instead the brass. I need to pickup another tip. The plastic tip broken (wear related). I did pick a bore snake for 9mm/38 Special/.357 which works very good.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #15

The sig sp2022 is always shooting low will that be the sig or me ???? 🔫

Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1970 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 4465

I think almost everyone will agree that not cleaning a barrel affects accuracy, but that is probably the only thing that most will agree on. The actual process of cleaning a barrel is very subjective and everyone has their only beliefs as to what works best. Personally, I'm a fanatic about keeping my barrels clean, but I don't think it matters which direction you clean from. I've had too many guns that shot great groups and were always cleaned from the muzzle. I've never done a study to find out for sure but I doubt most others have either. Benchrest shooters do clean from the breach so it could help, but I doubt seriously any of us would ever notice the difference. I've had guns that would shoot 1/2" groups all day at 100yards after being cleaned from the muzzle. It is possible that cleaning from the breach could have made that group .45" instead of .5", but would it really matter? How many of us even measure our groups close enough that we would even know if the group size changed from .5 to .45? And that is just a hypothetical maybe, I don't really think it would matter.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but if anyone in favor of cleaning from the breach can prove that it makes a difference please post it. I mean that sincerely. I'll change the way I clean my bolt action rifles if it truly helps, but so far I've never seen to where it made any difference.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I think almost everyone will agree that not cleaning a barrel affects accuracy, but that is probably the only thing that most will agree on.
I'll agree; but I know of many that may not... it depends on how you present the case.

When I got my US Model of 1917 the bore looked nice and shiny; but after cleaning the polished copper form the bore it looked like this.
That condition is from what I assume was not cleaning the bore after shooting corrosive ammo. The first condition, the heavily copper fouled bore, was from not cleaning for copper fouling... maybe not cleaning at all?

But just so you know, that barrel regularly shoots sub-moa....
...and isn't quite as rough now, due to a period of a vigilant cleaning regiment.

I'll go further by adding; "improper" cleaning, may not be conducive to accuracy.

With my Win_94, I know the carbon ring in the throat was caused by my improper cleaning method.
That is what it looked like after I completely eliminated the carbon ring; that is where the bore was not worn; bullets weren't making contact with the steel in that area. Believing some of the "gun experts" at one time; I was convinced that cleaning solvent and patches were all that was necessary to get the bore spotless... I and they were wrong.

The pics in my previous post are of this same throat/bore after a period of a vigilant cleaning regiment; as with the 1917 bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but if anyone in favor of cleaning from the breach can prove that it makes a difference please post it. I mean that sincerely. I'll change the way I clean my bolt action rifles if it truly helps, but so far I've never seen to where it made any difference.
I clean from the breach of all my bolt actions now. Mainly so I don't get copper solvent in the recesses of my locking lugs. That could cause a dangerous situation if the surfaces corrode eliminating the perfect fit it already has.
I still clean those areas anyway, but if I don't cause more solvent to be deposited there, I feel a whole lot better.

I'm not trying to change your mind, that is just the way I see it. I cleaned my bolt actions from the muzzle for over 30 years, and am not aware of any damage caused from doing so.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #18

Liked 702 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

Quote:
I try to follow that though I don't know if it's necessary. Except I can't do it on my revolver due to the physical configuration of the gun. You can't enter the barrel from the back where the bullet enters. The frame of the gun is in the way.
Use a bore snake.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #19
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8900 Times on 5324 Posts
Likes Given: 11898

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
Use a bore snake.
Well, I did buy a bore snake but I've not used it yet. It doesn't seem like it has enough scrubbing power to clean properly. And how do you clean the bore snake after you use it? Do you just throw it in the washing machine?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #20

You can wash it with regular water.

As much as I know you don't need to scrub , run it 4 times or so to ensure maximum cleanliness.

I have always stripped and cleaned all my guns after every shooting session. Pain in the butt but pays back on the long run.

Fired over 1500 rounds with the 22 rifle and over 1000 rounds with the .40 with not a single misfire !!!!!!