True or false
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > True or false

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default True or false

Is it true that cleaning the barrel HAS to be from the back to the muzzle and if true does it apply on Hand guns too ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7651 Times on 4598 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

I try to follow that though I don't know if it's necessary. Except I can't do it on my revolver due to the physical configuration of the gun. You can't enter the barrel from the back where the bullet enters. The frame of the gun is in the way.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliardo123
Is it true that cleaning the barrel HAS to be from the back to the muzzle and if true does it apply on Hand guns too ?
Thats the best way, u wont ruin a good crown doin it that way, also dont push the brush all the way out of the barrel, just enough to expose about half

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

Liked 1609 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliardo123 View Post
No, it certainly does not "have to". The idea of cleaning from the chamber is to prevent damaging the crown with a cleaning rod. You can see what a dinged-up crown does to the accuracy of a rifle if you shoot a bunch of surplus guns, especially Mosins. Using a proper cleaning rod and method can reduce the possibility of damage of cleaning from the muzzle, but it is best if it can be done the other way.

Pistols are not so much of an issue, because when you field strip, it is just as convenient one way as the other, so clean from the chamber end. Some revolvers just about have to be cleaned from the muzzle so be careful with the crown.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Anyone familiar with metal finishing will tell you to go only in the direction that the bullet travels. Never back and forth.

Anyone here ever finish a crankshaft or ground a cam? Its always done in the direction of rotation. Metal tends to "lay down" in the direction of travel during finishing.

Going in the opposite direction introduces a disruption in this "lay" and increases the coefficient of friction.

Will this harm your gun's rifling? Probably not in your rimfire. But what about that 200 yard trophy buck shot? Why take a chance?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7651 Times on 4598 Posts
Likes Given: 9570

When I clean my guns I use a 'guide' on the crown to keep the cleaning rod from bumping around on the crown.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9398 Times on 4050 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Does not have to be- I have semi-auto rifles you would play hell doing that with. It IS better to go with the flow, and you are also pulling crud OUT instead of pushing it back in.

Besides the crown of the muzzle, over a period of time you can wear the rifling at the muzzle from a rod rubbing it if not centered.

But consider that every M1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, and M14 rifle out there got cleaned from the muzzle.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Buy an Otis cleaning kit and you can fish the vinyl coated wire through the breech to the muzzle and throw the hard rods in the trash! If you are spending money on a good match grade barrel then treat it right. I quiver watching some people clean their weapons and wouldn't even want them to look at mine. I have seen people scrubbing their barrels like they are plunging toilets and it doesn't take that much effort even when cleaning a muzzle loader. Please, play nice...

Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #9

Yeah
I find that very helpful.
The reason why because I use the same hand gun rod that isn't long enough I just switch the brushes.
For now i use the bore snake.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #10

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Here's what I think on this, and it goes along with what Cane pointed out.
I shave with a straight razor, and I'll tell you that the quickest way to take one step forward and two steps back while sharpening a straight is to reverse the honing direction. Every time you reverse the honing direction on a razor, you'll need to take at least 5 strokes in the forward direction to correct the edge.

The bullet goes from breech to muzzle, and therefor, so does my bore brush. Revolvers were mentioned earlier. I still went breech to muzzle, I'd stick the cleaning rod in, screw on the brush, and pull it out. Yes, it was a hassle, and to some folks it may not be worth it. But many people don't bother with a straight razor either.

Bore snakes are also a good option for those guns that make it difficult to clean breech to muzzle.