Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Top 5 choices for .22 Semi-Auto rifle for SHTF situations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
a SHTF .22 semi-auto rifle, that would be adequate for self-defense and hunting purposes?
No .22 is adequate for self defense. It might be better than a sharp stick. It might not be too. Think
They are much more deadly than a .22. They were used to wipe out the mammoths. Try killing a mammoth with a .22. Well it would be pretty easy because they're already dead. People killed them with sharp sticks. BTW the range on an atlatl is about 850 feet. They have been used all over the world actually. They predate the bow and arrow by a huge margin and they are considered far more effective. The Aztecs put stone tips on their darts and those were used to penetrate the chain mail armor of the Spanish. Add that to the fact they are silent in operation and you have a weapon superior to a .22 if you have the skill to use it.

So again, a .22 may not be better than a sharp stick for self defense. Then there's the fact that many people get shot with a .22 and walk away from it like nothing happened. Anyone who deliberately chooses a .22 for SD is asking for problems.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

And CCI Velocitor cartridges...

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5806 Times on 3170 Posts
Likes Given: 10990

Calico M100 carbine

Springfield M6 Scout

Armalite (Henry) AR-7

Ruger 10/22

No offense and none taken

Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
No .22 is adequate for self defense.
I disagree. We are talking rifles. 25 rounds of just about anything will work for SD.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #15

Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Browning is my choice. no other.

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

S&W M&P 15-22
Marlin 60
Ruger 10/22

Why 5? 3 pretty much covers it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6672 Times on 4036 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Why not a Henry?

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #18

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I like my Marlin better than my sons 10/22. Maybe it's just my rifle. But, its much more acurate than the 10/22. The 10/22 would be second. I like the Henry as a third option.

If we are talking 22s why dont we throw a pistol or two into the mix. I like my Ruger 22/45. Super acurate and reliable.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6672 Times on 4036 Posts
Likes Given: 7928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If we are talking 22s why dont we throw a pistol or two into the mix. I like my Ruger 22/45. Super acurate and reliable.
Pistols? My Mark II can't be beat.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I disagree. We are talking rifles. 25 rounds of just about anything will work for SD.
You have to hit a very small area to be effective with a .22. 25 chances will not be enough. Observe

The guy emptied two pistols at POINT BLANK range and the lawyer walked away. One round from a .45 makes a big difference in what the bad guy does afterwards. A whole bunch of .22 rounds may not make any difference at all. Sure it "might" work. But "might work" is nowhere near good enough. "Almost certainly will work" is my idea of a proper SD weapon.

Let's talk shotguns for a second here. You can fire 9 pellets (or more actually) each the size of a .32 bullet or so all at one time. If you miss you can fire again just like with your .22. Some of those shotguns hold 25 shells each with nine "00 buck" pellets inside. Just one hit from a shotgun is almost certain to disable a bad guy. Why on earth would you choose something that has a very small probability of doing that instead of the one that almost certainly will work? It makes absolutely no sense. Even if a 12 ga. is too much for you there are smaller ga. shotguns. Almost every adult can fie a 20 ga. shotgun effectively.

It just makes ZERO sense to use a .22 when you can use a shotgun instead. You can also hunt more effectively with a shotgun. Sure if you're good enough you can hunt enough game with a .22 to keep you going for a short time. But I'm here to tell you that game gets thinned out extremely fast especially if you think you can just take off from a city and take up residence in the woods somewhere. The people that own those woods are likely to take extreme exception to that in times of SHTF stress. I know I would. You wouldn't hunt on my property for long. The small amount of game a given stretch of woods supports is barely enough to keep one or two people going for a month. You better know how to do something besides hunt because you won't find enough game to keep you alive. Trust me I grew up on a farm where we supplemented our diet with game. We limited ourselves to the hunting season and it was still slim pickings for things like squirrels. They don't reproduce like rabbits and rabbits get hunted out extremely fast as well. I've seen it happen friend. You'll want to learn to build a fish trap, gig frogs, set a trot line, set up jugs, and learn just how drunk you have to be before noodling seems like a good idea.

I grew up getting a fair portion of our food from the land. Unless you're hunting deer that food will dry up quick. And it's not that easy to kill a deer with a .22.

Listen to the voice of experience. You'll need a bigger gun at least part of the time. And I'd carry a handgun for SD all the time and it would NOT be a .22. Double that to a .44 and you're getting close. Make it a magnum and you're there.