the time has come... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > the time has come...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
My first shooter was a sears roebuck revelation, which is the same as a marlin 60 I believe.

It was a bit large for a 5 year old, but with proper respect towards firearms already taught to me, it only encouraged me to be more careful.

Good job OP
Thank you Sir. That is the goal I am hoping to achieve with my son. Id like him to learn respect and have an understanding of how dangerous it can be if not properly safe while around the rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker

That will be a really good gun. I grew up shooting the Winchester of that model.

Also, I don't how big your son's stature is but I wouldn't think he would have any problem handling and shooting that gun. As for it being too complicated, well that's how we learn and that'll be a great gun for him to learn on.

And I really liked your comments about it being a tool and not toy. That's a great point.
thank you also...
As for the boys size, he is tall for his age and has a pretty decent reach but, he is a bit on the skinny side... he can almost disappear if he turns sideways lol. He may have the reach but im not sure about the strength. I guess we will find out next week!

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A couple more photos... size comparison next to my SKS, and I forgot to put the scope on in the first photos. The scope appears to be original to the rifle but there are no markings of any kind.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 AM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Fwiw - cricketts have alot more model than the youth guns. Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA
And they're not New England, it's Keystone Sporting Arms.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #14

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks Willfully Armed, when I put New England, I was thinking that it didn't seem correct.
I like that sportized SKS there Urban Ninja, it turned a outdated rifle into a nice looking modern piece. Makes me want to go out and get an SKS now and sporterize it. Make sure you snap a pic to post, of your Boy's expression when he opens that special gift.
Del

Old 12-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
Thanks Willfully Armed, when I put New England, I was thinking that it didn't seem correct.
I like that sportized SKS there Urban Ninja, it turned a outdated rifle into a nice looking modern piece. Makes me want to go out and get an SKS now and sporterize it. Make sure you snap a pic to post, of your Boy's expression when he opens that special gift.
Del
I gladly will. I think I am more excited for Christmas morning now than he is. Lol. Also.. the SKS is nothing special. Just replaced the OE stock with a Monte Carlo nylon stock and painted it O.D. Green. Bayonet,lug and front sight base removed. Mounted an old rail to the dust cover and popped on a cheap tasco red dot.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #16

Liked 408 Times on 223 Posts

Looks like a good first gun to me. My first gun of my own was a 20 gauge H&R single shot. I wish I still had it. So what ever you do when he gets older make sure he knows you never sell or trade your first gun. It looks like you both will have a wonderful Christmas.

play the victim, be the victim

Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81
Looks like a good first gun to me. My first gun of my own was a 20 gauge H&R single shot. I wish I still had it. So what ever you do when he gets older make sure he knows you never sell or trade your first gun. It looks like you both will have a wonderful Christmas.

play the victim, be the victim
I dont think that will be a problem for me. I have a few guns that im not fond of but yet I cant bring myself to get rid of them. Seems its easier to just keep them.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

NICE! Goodbye treerats, hello smiles.

My first was a .22 bolt when i was six, but i had a tube-fed 22 semi in a year or two (marlin model 60).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #19

Liked 2487 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

There's nothing like your first gun.

I think you'll both enjoy many a day plinking with it.

(P.S.-love the SKS, R-R-R!)

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
There's nothing like your first gun.

I think you'll both enjoy many a day plinking with it.

(P.S.-love the SKS, R-R-R!)
I really hope so.. and thank you. Thanks to you all. Ive gotten much better responses than id hoped for. That really makes me feel much better when teaching time comes.. knowing that I have made a good decision on a weapon and timing to teach my boy. You gents have made a world of difference for me believe it or not, and I appreciate it much.