Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > the time has come...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default the time has come...

Recently I made the decision to teach my 8y/o son how to shoot. I thought he may be too young, but after speaking with some of you other fathers on here and gathering some great info... I figured its time. So today while at the local gun show I picked up this little Sears Roebuck model 3T. Semi auto, tube fed that fires .22 in all variants.. $80 out the door. It is in very nice shape for its age with minimal use. I hope he enjoys his Christmas gift as much as I hope to enjoy spending some range time with my boy.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #2

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Nice rifle, but I think it's a little too advanced for him if problems arise with jamming and stock being too long to shoulder it properly. I would of gotten a New England Cricket or Rossi break-open, or some other single shot rifle to learn with that have shorter stocks for a young child. Remember, he's learning how to shoot properly and all they need is one shot to learn on how to place that shot and not the dangers involved with having 10 more shots in a tube and all they need to do is just pull the trigger as many times as they want. I understand that you'll be right there also, but the Child will also need to understand, that missing his target is OK too, and for him to develop better shooting skills, it takes more than just the rifle, so 1 shot has to count. These are just my opinions, but that is a nice rifle.
Del

Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
Nice rifle, but I think it's a little too advanced for him if problems arise with jamming and stock being too long to shoulder it properly. I would of gotten a New England Cricket or Rossi break-open, or some other single shot rifle to learn with that have shorter stocks for a young child. Remember, he's learning how to shoot properly and all they need is one shot to learn on how to place that shot and not the dangers involved with having 10 more shots in a tube and all they need to do is just pull the trigger as many times as they want. I understand that you'll be right there also, but the Child will also need to understand, that missing his target is OK too, and for him to develop better shooting skills, it takes more than just the rifle, so 1 shot has to count. These are just my opinions, but that is a nice rifle.
Del
You are right about it being a little too big for him. I chose this one over the cricket because of a few reasons...
1: The color. The Brown stock to me gives it a "real" weapon look. There were many crickets at the show but they were all different colors (pink,blue,etc...) I want my son to look at the rifle and see a tool, not a toy. Maybe its a strange reason but its just something I felt more comfortable with.

2: The size. Once again it is larger than the cricket and I did consider this being a factor. I figure I can use this to the advantage of making his experience a little more fun. He enjoys playing 'soldier' and what young boy doesn't? So I can throw small bi-pod on the front and have the rifle propped up for him or teach him to shoot while laying down. Once again probably another silly reason but i think this would be a good way to keep his attention. Of course once he learns to respect the weapon and understands the damage it does,we will then move on to his stance,shouldering,carrying,loading,unloading,etc. .
Now.. when we do move on to these things I WILL buy the cricket for him. I never planned on this rifle to be his actual first one.. it will be used to learn the basics and be kept for when he has outgrown the cricket.

You mention the tube feed.. of course I would never load more then one round at a time. Also another good reason for the size and weight. If there were by any chance more then one round in the tube, he could not just pick up and start swinging in every direction. I would teach him better than that but he is also a child and children dont always have the steady attention when they are excited.

My reasons may be a little "out there" but it is helping myself feel a little more comfortable teaching him, and if I am not comfortable,then I should not be teaching him at all. This is a big New world for him to step in to. I want to have everything covered. If any of you think I am wrong.. please tell me. I will not be offended and all opinions are welcomed. I want to make this experience safe, simple and fun for the both of us to enjoy and remember forever.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

I've taught my kids & the grandkids how to shoot. One thing about it, you end up with some safety minded, competent shooting buddies.

IMHO 8yrs is about right. OUTSTANDING, thats one lucky boy you have there Urban!!!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 12-19-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelig airer........

Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr
I've tought my kids & the grandkids how to shoot. One thing about it, you end up with some safety minded, competent shooting buddies.

IMHO 8yrs is about right. OUTSTANDING, thats one lucky boy you have there Urban!!!
Thank you very much. I just really hope he enjoys this as much as i will. I have always shielded him from firearms, I now understand that was the wrong thing to do. With the input I gathered from other members, I feel ive made the right choice. I cant hide my guns forever and I dont want his curiosity getting the best of him.

Last edited by UrbanNinja; 12-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #6

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Your Son will be one lucky boy on Xmas morning. Sounds like you thought things through well. Have you looked at any cross referencing for this rifle? Looks to be a little Remington model by it's styling.
Del

Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
Your Son will be one lucky boy on Xmas morning. Sounds like you thought things through well. Have you looked at any cross referencing for this rifle? Looks to be a little Remington model by it's styling.
Del
To me it looks quite a bit like a Winchester 190/290.

To the OP, outstanding idea to get you boy into shooting a nice young age. Good choice to go with something that he won't outgrow quickly and a gun that doesn't break the bank. Your boy will have a Christmas morning that he'll remember for years to come.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks

To me it looks quite a bit like a Winchester 190/290.

To the OP, outstanding idea to get you boy into shooting a nice young age. Good choice to go with something that he won't outgrow quickly and a gun that doesn't break the bank. Your boy will have a Christmas morning that he'll remember for years to come.
I believe you're correct. A bit of research I did shows this rifle is a clone of the 190 from Winchester. It was built by Winchester for Sears & Roebuck around the 1960s.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My first shooter was a sears roebuck revelation, which is the same as a marlin 60 I believe.

It was a bit large for a 5 year old, but with proper respect towards firearms already taught to me, it only encouraged me to be more careful.

Good job OP

Old 12-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
I believe you're correct. A bit of research I did shows this rifle is a clone of the 190 from Winchester. It was built by Winchester for Sears & Roebuck around the 1960s.
That will be a really good gun. I grew up shooting the Winchester of that model.

Also, I don't how big your son's stature is but I wouldn't think he would have any problem handling and shooting that gun. As for it being too complicated, well that's how we learn and that'll be a great gun for him to learn on.

And I really liked your comments about it being a tool and not toy. That's a great point.