thinkin about rimfire competition - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

thinkin about rimfire competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

@Vincine I write this with all due respect to you. Online test data is a bunch of number crunching compiled by geeks who are scared to get into the sun. Here in NC the wind blows constantly. We have the mountains to the west and the ocean to the east. Most of the US has geographical features that have the same effect of funneling any wind right to the ground. I do most of my shooting on power lines that are heavily wooded on either side. The wind still blows any small caliber bullets around within 100 yards, even a 5.56x45. It usually takes a couple shots to start hitting a 2" target with anything smaller than a 30 caliber 150 gr bullet at 100 yards. To start hitting those highly desired nine point rings it usually takes two targets with a small caliber rifle.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
@Vincine I write this with all due respect to you. Online test data is a bunch of number crunching compiled by geeks who are scared to get into the sun. . . . etc.
I was just pointing out the conflict between the conventional wisdom of sub sonic being more accurate, proven with actual targets online; and my calculated results and personal targets that high velocity ammo is more accurate.

Of course youre right about the wind. My range is on a small plain in a valley just off an old river. It almost always has a 3 5 mph breeze, with gusts much higher, alternating all around the compass every few seconds. Id expect any rural open clearing to be windy. Especially near sunset when I usually get to shoot.

My tightest 100y groups are 1.25 with sub 2 groups common, but only with the fast stuff. The slower target ammo goes all over the page.