thinkin about rimfire competition - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > thinkin about rimfire competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

......wtf do you need that for? A good competition rifle has a good barrel,trigger and shooter.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
......wtf do you need that for? A good competition rifle has a good barrel,trigger and shooter.
I always wanted a bolt handle like that....kinda pointless i know but i i i i just want one haha. I have a bull barrel ,accutrigger,and i can USSUALY shoot pretty well haha

Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cant remember were but they do make them out of poly. all they do is snap over your existing bolt.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb
Cant remember were but they do make them out of poly. all they do is snap over your existing bolt.
That sounds awesome! easily removable and it will protect the finish on my bolt handle! If anyone can tell me where i can find those i will greatly apreciate it!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 543 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Yeah those Savage Mark 2 rifles are pretty dang good. The best .22 all around rifle I have ever shot and thats saying something considering I have shot some high dollar competitive .22's. The thing I like most about the Savage, extremely durable. Dog had a large coon treed one night and before I could get out to the pasture and shoot it the damn thing decided to come down the tree and take it's chances with my dog. Dog got the coon by the stomach and the coon got the dog by the top of the nose and they went at it. WTF was I suppose to do? Can't shoot cause they are essentially one blurry animal at that point and neither is winning the fight. All I could do is turn the gun around and start giving strong blows to whichever animal got in front of my butt at the time. Of course that didn't work but two shots into the ground by my side stopped the fight just long enough for my father to grab the dog. Then the coon got the rest of my magazine. Damn thing pissed me off, of course so did the stupid dog.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Yeah those Savage Mark 2 rifles are pretty dang good. The best .22 all around rifle I have ever shot and thats saying something considering I have shot some high dollar competitive .22's. The thing I like most about the Savage, extremely durable. Dog had a large coon treed one night and before I could get out to the pasture and shoot it the damn thing decided to come down the tree and take it's chances with my dog. Dog got the coon by the stomach and the coon got the dog by the top of the nose and they went at it. WTF was I suppose to do? Can't shoot cause they are essentially one blurry animal at that point and neither is winning the fight. All I could do is turn the gun around and start giving strong blows to whichever animal got in front of my butt at the time. Of course that didn't work but two shots into the ground by my side stopped the fight just long enough for my father to grab the dog. Then the coon got the rest of my magazine. Damn thing pissed me off, of course so did the stupid dog.
Ya i love em. I have the single shot with peep sights for the youth program i was in and i loved it so much i bought the repeater version!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I wouldn't touch a rifle that shot that well. Actually it's best to remove all studs so you can work off a sandbag instead of a bipod. It depends on what sort of competition you want to do of course but if you want to shoot bench rest use sandbags or a dedicated rest.

What I would do is buy up all the ammo you are using to get that sort of accuracy that you can find. Make sure the lot numbers are the same because ammo changes over different production runs. And ammo is half the battle with rimfire accuracy.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56
I wouldn't touch a rifle that shot that well. Actually it's best to remove all studs so you can work off a sandbag instead of a bipod. It depends on what sort of competition you want to do of course but if you want to shoot bench rest use sandbags or a dedicated rest.

What I would do is buy up all the ammo you are using to get that sort of accuracy that you can find. Make sure the lot numbers are the same because ammo changes over different production runs. And ammo is half the battle with rimfire accuracy.
I have ALOT of ammo but i think im gonna grab a few more boxes... and the more i think about it i really wanna make it into like a miniature sniper rifle. I cant afford to shoot my hunting very much otherwise id build on that but sense my 22 is so cheap and enjoyable i wanna see what kind of stuff i can do to it as far as tactical mods

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #29

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Subsonic ammo isn't going to help solve long distance problems. The reason groups fall apart at 70/80 yards is the wind. Slower ammo and an arching trajectory is absolutely no help. This problem is why the 22 wmr is superior to both the 22 LR and 17HMR. I have a box of Federal bulk ammo right here. At 1260 FPS a 22LR bullet drops 5.6" @ 100 yards.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-13-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #30

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Subsonic ammo isn't going to help solve long distance problems. . . . .etc.
I’ve been playing with a ballistic calculator.

It seems the 40 gr/1435 fps Velocitor, has less drift & drop than the faster 32 gr/1640 fps Stinger. This agrees with my experience. My Velocitor groups were always tighter at 100y than any of my others, including some Eley Target ammunition.

I’m guessing the lighter 32 gr Stinger has less mass, and thus less momentum, than the slower & heavier 40 gr Velocitor so it’s less affected by the wind, but I’m surprised it’s less affected by gravity as well.

The calculator also says the 40 gr/1435 fps Velocitor has just gone sub sonic at 100y. The 32 gr/1640 fps Stinger goes subsonic 20y before that. (I’m at 1462 ft above sea level.)

Both fly flatter and faster, and would be less affected by the wind, than any of the subsonic ammo.

However the online test targets I found say otherwise. The tightest groups are had with the slower target ammunition.