Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > thinkin about rimfire competition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1680 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageshooter1997 View Post
...one whats br50 . . .
br50 = 50 yards Bench Rest

Far and away your biggest 'modification' is going to be the ammunition you use. I've got a Mk II too and often put rounds through one hole at 50y BR with Mini Mags . At 100y, not so much. I've gotten 1.5" groups at 100y BR with Mini Mags, but not with any regularity. Most are over 2". My groups fall apart at around 70y.

They didn't have any sub sonic ammo at my local & chain shops, and even the Stingers go transsonic over 50y, so I going to mail order something.

I just put a Mueller 8-32x44 scope on it because the dime sized dots I shoot at were covered up by the previous scope's BDC dots. Side benefit, don't really need the spotting scope.

Here's a link to 22lr ammo results at 50, 75 & 100 yards. It shows what's possible with a high end rifle with just the brand of ammo as the variable.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

As far as modifications to the rifle itself, I'd go to a competition and talk to some people, perhaps the 'winners', and see what they found made the biggest differences.

Last edited by Vincine; 11-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Rimfire sporter shot at 50 and 25 yds in prone, sitting or kneeling, and off hand 10shots slow and 10 shots rapid in 2 5round strings the rifles are 7.5 lbs total weight 3lb or heavier trigger max is a 6x scope or open sight or apeture also use bolt or semi also a tactical class lots of local ranges are doing this do to kinds of rifles this is also shot at a national level at the cmp games every body from kids to seniors go to www.odcmp.com or rime fire shooter and check it out. The br-50 is a benchrest match on rimfire shooter the have a monthly fun match check it out and join the fun rimfire matches are a blast no matter what you decide to do

Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1680 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
. . . . go to www.odcmp.com or rime fire shooter and check it out. . . . .
Thanks for this. I was unaware of their website and checked it out.

Here's the specific link to their rimfire page. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm

Here's a link to their 52 page Rimfire Sporter Competition Book download. http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/Rimfire.pdf

It looks like it has LOTS of general & 22lr marksmanship information.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #14

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

savageshooter1997, I appreciate your quest for friendly competition. Check around at your local range and you'll find some matches to shoot in. I shot in Smallbore silhouette matches for years and what started out as fun quickly soured. I started out with a Rem 513T. My very first match, I won my class. The regulars cried, pissed and moaned. About the stock, the weight, the scope mounts, the wind, the sun. I'm far from the best shot ever and just wanted to have fun. After years of putting up with it, I just stopped going.

If your gun can shoot the 1 hole groups you might stand a chance in the hunter class. Having the right equipment is what structured matches are all about in my opinion. Have fun.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Thanks for this. I was unaware of their website and checked it out.

Here's the specific link to their rimfire page. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rimfire.htm

Here's a link to their 52 page Rimfire Sporter Competition Book download. http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/Rimfire.pdf

It looks like it has LOTS of general & 22lr marksmanship information.
Those competitions are exactly what i was looking for.....but they arent within my travel range but thank you. I am thinkin about makin a competition up here.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 214

As far as putting a bipod and a sling on, I found a good bipod for mine that had a built in swivel for a sling. It wasn't very expensive, I just can't remember where I got it from or what brand it is. I would have to guess that there are probably several bipods out there that will already have the swivel like you want so you won't have to drill through your stock

Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
As far as putting a bipod and a sling on, I found a good bipod for mine that had a built in swivel for a sling. It wasn't very expensive, I just can't remember where I got it from or what brand it is. I would have to guess that there are probably several bipods out there that will already have the swivel like you want so you won't have to drill through your stock
Ok sweet. The only bipod i have ever used didnt have that so i just assumed that it was ussualy that way. Thanks ill start looking

Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Yeah I really wish I could tell you what brand it was but my father decided to borrow my .22 to take care of a few coons.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf
Yeah I really wish I could tell you what brand it was but my father decided to borrow my .22 to take care of a few coons.
Thats where i got my experience with a bipod! Me and my cousin made a cheezy "Sniper hide" on my granmas roof to guard her saud from the coons! It was so much fun!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #20

Oh and another thing i was curious about was where i could get a tactical bolt handle for my 22.im worried because my bolt handle seems to be welded to my bolt so i dont know if id have to have this one cut off and a tactical one be welded in its place or just buy a new bolt? Ill post pics if u dont see what im trying to say