Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > are they fixed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default are they fixed?

i was bored so i started surfing random sites and came across this 96514 - Remington Model 597 Semi-Automatic Rimfire Rifle .17 HMR 20" Barrel 10 Rounds Adj. Sights Brown Laminated Stock Blued Barrel
i have no first hand experience with the round or gun but i am aware of the issues that where discovered back in '09. by chance did they fix it?

sure, lets ban guns. but let's ban murder and cocaine first...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #2

Liked 7550 Times on 3286 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Nope. From Remington Website- Safety Warning And Recall Notice

Have a feeling if you order, you will get an "out of stock" message.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
i was bored so i started surfing random sites and came across this 96514 - Remington Model 597 Semi-Automatic Rimfire Rifle .17 HMR 20" Barrel 10 Rounds Adj. Sights Brown Laminated Stock Blued Barrel
i have no first hand experience with the round or gun but i am aware of the issues that where discovered back in '09. by chance did they fix it?
Usually when Cheaper Than Dirt is out of something it displays this >> and a note if/when you click on the out of stock link to view the particular item.

Just send them an e-mail to see if it's actually in stock or just a glitch/typo/inventory error. Remington still shows the 597 in 22 WMR (26581& 26560) if you're looking for a Magnum rimfire and if the one above is an error. I started looking for the semi-auto 17HMR too late and ended up with an Excel Arms Accelerator in 22 magnum. I plan on getting the 17 HMR barrel from Excel as they are still producing the 17HMR last time I checked their site, but just haven't gotten around to buying the barrel.

You can also send Remington an e-mail to see if they've fixed anything. I doubt they have, but its never hurts to ask.

Last edited by Eric0424; 05-12-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i have no interest, i just came across it and remembered something about them being dangerous. i just wounder if they have fixed the issue, i once read it was a headspace issue that could actually be fixed at a service center under warranty.

sure, lets ban guns. but let's ban murder and cocaine first...

Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
i have no interest, i just came across it and remembered something about them being dangerous. i just wounder if they have fixed the issue, i once read it was a headspace issue that could actually be fixed at a service center under warranty.
I've heard a couple of different stories but could never confirm anything. I'd like to have the 17HMR in a semi-auto but Excel Arms hasn't e-mailed me a response on the price of a new barrel.

Last edited by Eric0424; 05-13-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moron88 View Post
Nope. It's a design issue to do with the pressure curve of the ammo and the limitations of a blowback semiauto action. Remington isn't the only one to drop the 17HMR semiauto concept; so has Magnum Research. Ruger wouldn't even touch it.

While we're on the subject a lot of guys want to believe that if you keep the chamber clean it won't KABOOM. This is only partly true; if you allow the chamber to get dirty enough that the cartridge can't chamber properly it can indeed cause a KABOOM. However, keeping the chamber clean doesn't prevent ALL KABOOMs, I've pried blown cases out of pristine chambers.

BTW, if you look carefully at Cheaper than Dirt's listing, it says:
"Please Note
We're sorry, but this product is no longer available."

Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
BTW, if you look carefully at Cheaper than Dirt's listing, it says:
"Please Note
We're sorry, but this product is no longer available."
That note wasn't there before, if it had been he wouldn't have even asked about them and I would have seen it as it's a little hard to miss. It also looks like the link is gone from the Rimfire rifle section and now the "Out of Stock" is displayed it if you search for item number 96514. It was either sold or an inventory error was fixed.