Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   are they fixed? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/they-fixed-42393/)

moron88 05-12-2011 05:00 AM

are they fixed?
 
i was bored so i started surfing random sites and came across this 96514 - Remington Model 597 Semi-Automatic Rimfire Rifle .17 HMR 20" Barrel 10 Rounds Adj. Sights Brown Laminated Stock Blued Barrel
i have no first hand experience with the round or gun but i am aware of the issues that where discovered back in '09. by chance did they fix it?

c3shooter 05-12-2011 05:17 AM

Nope. From Remington Website- Safety Warning And Recall Notice

Have a feeling if you order, you will get an "out of stock" message.

Eric0424 05-12-2011 05:53 AM

Quote:

i was bored so i started surfing random sites and came across this 96514 - Remington Model 597 Semi-Automatic Rimfire Rifle .17 HMR 20" Barrel 10 Rounds Adj. Sights Brown Laminated Stock Blued Barrel
i have no first hand experience with the round or gun but i am aware of the issues that where discovered back in '09. by chance did they fix it?
Usually when Cheaper Than Dirt is out of something it displays this >> http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/image...ofStockBtn.jpg and a note if/when you click on the out of stock link to view the particular item.

Just send them an e-mail to see if it's actually in stock or just a glitch/typo/inventory error. Remington still shows the 597 in 22 WMR (26581& 26560) if you're looking for a Magnum rimfire and if the one above is an error. I started looking for the semi-auto 17HMR too late and ended up with an Excel Arms Accelerator in 22 magnum. I plan on getting the 17 HMR barrel from Excel as they are still producing the 17HMR last time I checked their site, but just haven't gotten around to buying the barrel.

You can also send Remington an e-mail to see if they've fixed anything. I doubt they have, but its never hurts to ask.

moron88 05-12-2011 04:36 PM

i have no interest, i just came across it and remembered something about them being dangerous. i just wounder if they have fixed the issue, i once read it was a headspace issue that could actually be fixed at a service center under warranty.

Eric0424 05-13-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moron88 (Post 503274)
i have no interest, i just came across it and remembered something about them being dangerous. i just wounder if they have fixed the issue, i once read it was a headspace issue that could actually be fixed at a service center under warranty.

I've heard a couple of different stories but could never confirm anything. I'd like to have the 17HMR in a semi-auto but Excel Arms hasn't e-mailed me a response on the price of a new barrel.

natman 05-13-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moron88 (Post 503274)
i have no interest, i just came across it and remembered something about them being dangerous. i just wounder if they have fixed the issue, i once read it was a headspace issue that could actually be fixed at a service center under warranty.

Nope. It's a design issue to do with the pressure curve of the ammo and the limitations of a blowback semiauto action. Remington isn't the only one to drop the 17HMR semiauto concept; so has Magnum Research. Ruger wouldn't even touch it.

While we're on the subject a lot of guys want to believe that if you keep the chamber clean it won't KABOOM. This is only partly true; if you allow the chamber to get dirty enough that the cartridge can't chamber properly it can indeed cause a KABOOM. However, keeping the chamber clean doesn't prevent ALL KABOOMs, I've pried blown cases out of pristine chambers.

BTW, if you look carefully at Cheaper than Dirt's listing, it says:
"Please Note
We're sorry, but this product is no longer available."

Eric0424 05-13-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natman (Post 503657)
BTW, if you look carefully at Cheaper than Dirt's listing, it says:
"Please Note
We're sorry, but this product is no longer available."

That note wasn't there before, if it had been he wouldn't have even asked about them and I would have seen it as it's a little hard to miss. It also looks like the link is gone from the Rimfire rifle section and now the "Out of Stock" is displayed it if you search for item number 96514. It was either sold or an inventory error was fixed.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.