tell me your best shot with a 22lr. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > tell me your best shot with a 22lr.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ok when i was very young about 50 years ago my granddad wanted a goose for dinner. as i was actually shooting a stob that was sitting out in the water at what as a young man i beleived was a good 300 yards i could hit that piece of 12" wood about 4 out of 10 shoots with my mossburg 144ls with weaver scope. i knew that the geese would land their in the early evening so i practiced all day shooting at that stob. (stob = what you tie a boat up to) As alll of my practice was ove water i could see where my misses we going and after a little time i began getting some good hits. Remember this is all for dinner for my granddad. about 6 in the evening the geese start landing and i begin glassing the area and finally one big fat goose was a sitten almost right in front of the stab. i draw a bead on this goose and launch a standard velocity .22 long rifle target round at the goose and low and behold he drops right over in the water and not even a kick. wow now i'm beyond proud. i jump into my 8" rowboat and row out to pick up my prize (300 yards) and finally get their and scoop this bird up into my small rowboat. now you have to invision two things here. my boat is only 8' long and about 3 /13 feet wide and now i have a 20 some pound goose sitting in the bow as i begin rowing back to the house. now something i need to add here for those who have never rowed a boat is that you are looken backwards as you row and turn your head forward now and then to keep your bearing. well i'm a rowing as fast as i kin so proud of my goose that i never hear the first rumblings coming from the front of the boat. when all of a sudden this loud flapping and yapping begins and this dame bird is not only not dead but is extreamly pissed off and begins to bite the absolute crap out of my legs. his wings are a flappen. he's yappen and flapping while bitting anyehing he can get a hold of and i'm his main target. well this goes on for perhaps 5 seconds and i decide that their just ain't enough room for both of us in this boat. so discression being what it is, i go over the side. the goose gets up a head of steam and goes over the other side and takes off. and my dad and granddad are dying of laughter standing on the pier. it appears that the bullet just knocked him out without causing any damage and when he woke up he was not of a mind to forgive and forget. so finally i climb back into my boat and row back to the house to heartfelt words of how good a shot i was only he still got away. i learned a couple of good lessions that evening the best of which is ALWAYS USE ENOUGH GUN TO DO THE JOB CORRECTLY !!! That happened a long time ago but on a recient visit to the old place i used a lasor range finder to see how far that post really was and low & behold it stood at 235 yards. still no a bad shot with a .22....

keep on shooten

terry

Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #62

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
I think my best shot was when I knocked a blowfly off a wild
hog's back at 250 yards with iron sights after cataract surgery.
I can beat that, just give me a few minutes.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #63

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Yeah, Terry,

If you're going to kill it, make sure it's dead, no matter

WHAT caliber you use.

Snapping the goose's neck before you started

back to the house in the boat would have resulted

in a memory which involved a fine goose dinner...

Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #64

topcat990... "...this dame bird is not only not dead but is extreamly pissed off and begins to bite the absolute crap out of my legs. his wings are a flappen. he's yappen and flapping while bitting anyehing he can get a hold of and i'm his main target. well this goes on for perhaps 5 seconds and i decide that their just ain't enough room for both of us in this boat. so discression being what it is, i go over the side..."

Ha ha ha That sounds like a fun day to look back on..!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #65

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Savage semiauto mag fed with simmons 3-9x40 scope...i can usually hit the head of a plastic cap nail at 100 yards.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #66

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

I think besides the usual hitting shotgun shells with the Marlin at various distances it would have to be a time me and my pops were shooting his p22 and he bet me I couldn't shoot the cap off a 2 liter on my first try,it was probably about 10 yards away... maybe a bit more. Anyways I aim and shoot,off goes the cap. I couldn't believe it,so my dad being who he is calls double or nothing.I agree and we set up another,this time a little can of lighter fluid and the target being the little red cap. I aim and shoot,the cap goes a flyin'. I must have been 16 years old.

Never did see that money lol

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #67

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Isn't anything to impressive, but guess I'll share anyways.

Pretty much just got my scope sighted in and figure it would be pretty fun to see if I could hit a penny from 25yards out. Turns out I managed to hit it with the first shot, not only that, but I actually got the queen in the face which was my intended POi.

I know it isn't exactly far, but when your new to shooting live fire arms and can barely seen the penny, it's pretty exciting. I also managed to hit a nickel and quarter from the same distance....but the penny is the smallest of the three. Haha

image-2524166396.jpg   image-2220136533.jpg