Taurus Model 172 in .17 HMR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Taurus Model 172 in .17 HMR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 227 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Default Taurus Model 172 in .17 HMR

Just curious what does anyone know about the taurus model .17 hmr? Are they any good? Seems they stopped making them. Also what are your thoughts on the .17hmr? I ask because I cannot seem to find much info on this model of rifle.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21313 Times on 12090 Posts
Likes Given: 53106

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Just curious what does anyone know about the taurus model .17 hmr? Are they any good? Seems they stopped making them. Also what are your thoughts on the .17hmr? I ask because I cannot seem to find much info on this model of rifle.
i'm not familiar with that gun, but am with the 17 HMR. i have a Savage M93r17 that i bought about 8 or 9 years ago. it's one of the pre-Acutrigger models. i did a lot of research into the 17 HMR before buying one. i liked what i saw and ended up buying one. quite a bit faster than the 22 Mag. which it was derived from. as i wanted a rimfire target rifle, the 17 HMR seemed like it was exactly what i wanted. now when asked which one should a person buy, the 22 Mag. or the 17 HMR? my suggestion is that if you are simply wanting a fast and flat shooting rimfire for target shooting, get the 17 HMR. if looking for one for hunting, get the 22 Mag. as it has more energy for hunting.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #3

Liked 191 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'm not familiar with that gun, but am with the 17 HMR. i have a Savage M93r17 that i bought about 8 or 9 years ago. it's one of the pre-Acutrigger models. i did a lot of research into the 17 HMR before buying one. i liked what i saw and ended up buying one. quite a bit faster than the 22 Mag. which it was derived from. as i wanted a rimfire target rifle, the 17 HMR seemed like it was exactly what i wanted. now when asked which one should a person buy, the 22 Mag. or the 17 HMR? my suggestion is that if you are simply wanting a fast and flat shooting rimfire for target shooting, get the 17 HMR. if looking for one for hunting, get the 22 Mag. as it has more energy for hunting.
Axxe55, I'm gonna disagree with you. I've hunted squirrel, ptarmigan, and rabbit, with the .17hmr (also a Savage WITH the Acutrigger). We had a very successful hunt and My grand son got his first game on that trip
This pic is about 4 years old, my grandson is now enlisted in the Reserves until he reaches 21 then going Rangers.
go-thru-118.jpg   go-thru-126.jpg  

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Last edited by artbrownsr; 10-29-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Thanks for the replies. I have the rifle mentioned, but have never really shot it much. But found out it was a model that was discontinued, and was curious as to why. Also it is the only .17 hmr and I was not sure of its capability.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have the rifle mentioned, but have never really shot it much. But found out it was a model that was discontinued, and was curious as to why. Also it is the only .17 hmr and I was not sure of its capability.
The ammo is either 17 gr. or 20 gr., your choice. Try both , at targets and plinking to see the results, they are fast and can come out the other side of small game with a devastating affect.
Make sure to give it more than an empty can, or paper target, something like 1 liter bottles of water and milk jugs are good for evaluating impact results.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21313 Times on 12090 Posts
Likes Given: 53106

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
Axxe55, I'm gonna disagree with you. I've hunted squirrel, ptarmigan, and rabbit, with the .17hmr (also a Savage WITH the Acutrigger). We had a very successful hunt and My grand son got his first game on that trip
This pic is about 4 years old, my grandson is now enlisted in the Reserves until he reaches 21 then going Rangers.
Art, i agree, and did not mean to imply that the 17 HMR can't be used for hunting, just IMO, if buying one strictly for hunting, i feel the 22 Mag. is a better choice. lots of people use their 17 HMR's for hunting with good results.

the 17 runs a bit higher in velocity, but the 22 Mag., has a bit more energy. hence the reason for suggestion.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

I am ignorant of the .22 mag but do have and use the .22 long rifle, on looking up the bullet weights though, the Mag is available from 30-50gr. from double the lightest, (1 1/2 times the heavy) to almost 3 times the lightest to 2 1/2 times the heavy.
for small game the rimfire is effective what ever you choose.
From personal experience the .17 is a fun gun to shoot, accurate as the operator, the .22 is a very reliable and effective gun ammo combo can be as fun or as utilitarian as the shooter / owner wants it to be.
Bottom line this needs to be a personal choice and at this point I don't see any WRONG choice.

Axxe55 Likes This