Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Taurus Model 172 in .17 HMR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/taurus-model-172-17-hmr-99656/)

colmustard 10-29-2013 04:19 AM

Taurus Model 172 in .17 HMR

Just curious what does anyone know about the taurus model .17 hmr? Are they any good? Seems they stopped making them. Also what are your thoughts on the .17hmr? I ask because I cannot seem to find much info on this model of rifle.

Axxe55 10-29-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 1416667)
Just curious what does anyone know about the taurus model .17 hmr? Are they any good? Seems they stopped making them. Also what are your thoughts on the .17hmr? I ask because I cannot seem to find much info on this model of rifle.

i'm not familiar with that gun, but am with the 17 HMR. i have a Savage M93r17 that i bought about 8 or 9 years ago. it's one of the pre-Acutrigger models. i did a lot of research into the 17 HMR before buying one. i liked what i saw and ended up buying one. quite a bit faster than the 22 Mag. which it was derived from. as i wanted a rimfire target rifle, the 17 HMR seemed like it was exactly what i wanted. now when asked which one should a person buy, the 22 Mag. or the 17 HMR? my suggestion is that if you are simply wanting a fast and flat shooting rimfire for target shooting, get the 17 HMR. if looking for one for hunting, get the 22 Mag. as it has more energy for hunting.

artbrownsr 10-29-2013 05:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1416712)
i'm not familiar with that gun, but am with the 17 HMR. i have a Savage M93r17 that i bought about 8 or 9 years ago. it's one of the pre-Acutrigger models. i did a lot of research into the 17 HMR before buying one. i liked what i saw and ended up buying one. quite a bit faster than the 22 Mag. which it was derived from. as i wanted a rimfire target rifle, the 17 HMR seemed like it was exactly what i wanted. now when asked which one should a person buy, the 22 Mag. or the 17 HMR? my suggestion is that if you are simply wanting a fast and flat shooting rimfire for target shooting, get the 17 HMR. if looking for one for hunting, get the 22 Mag. as it has more energy for hunting.

Axxe55, I'm gonna disagree with you. I've hunted squirrel, ptarmigan, and rabbit, with the .17hmr (also a Savage WITH the Acutrigger). We had a very successful hunt and My grand son got his first game on that trip
This pic is about 4 years old, my grandson is now enlisted in the Reserves until he reaches 21 then going Rangers.

colmustard 10-29-2013 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the rifle mentioned, but have never really shot it much. But found out it was a model that was discontinued, and was curious as to why. Also it is the only .17 hmr and I was not sure of its capability.

artbrownsr 10-29-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colmustard (Post 1416902)
Thanks for the replies. I have the rifle mentioned, but have never really shot it much. But found out it was a model that was discontinued, and was curious as to why. Also it is the only .17 hmr and I was not sure of its capability.

The ammo is either 17 gr. or 20 gr., your choice. Try both , at targets and plinking to see the results, they are fast and can come out the other side of small game with a devastating affect.
Make sure to give it more than an empty can, or paper target, something like 1 liter bottles of water and milk jugs are good for evaluating impact results.

Axxe55 10-29-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artbrownsr (Post 1416724)
Axxe55, I'm gonna disagree with you. I've hunted squirrel, ptarmigan, and rabbit, with the .17hmr (also a Savage WITH the Acutrigger). We had a very successful hunt and My grand son got his first game on that trip
This pic is about 4 years old, my grandson is now enlisted in the Reserves until he reaches 21 then going Rangers.

Art, i agree, and did not mean to imply that the 17 HMR can't be used for hunting, just IMO, if buying one strictly for hunting, i feel the 22 Mag. is a better choice. lots of people use their 17 HMR's for hunting with good results.

the 17 runs a bit higher in velocity, but the 22 Mag., has a bit more energy. hence the reason for suggestion.

artbrownsr 10-29-2013 09:41 PM

I am ignorant of the .22 mag but do have and use the .22 long rifle, on looking up the bullet weights though, the Mag is available from 30-50gr. from double the lightest, (1 1/2 times the heavy) to almost 3 times the lightest to 2 1/2 times the heavy.
for small game the rimfire is effective what ever you choose.
From personal experience the .17 is a fun gun to shoot, accurate as the operator, the .22 is a very reliable and effective gun ammo combo can be as fun or as utilitarian as the shooter / owner wants it to be.
Bottom line this needs to be a personal choice and at this point I don't see any WRONG choice.