Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Tactical Looking 22 LR Rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/tactical-looking-22-lr-rifles-35578/)

rifleman55 12-14-2010 06:02 AM

Tactical Looking 22 LR Rifles

These have become pretty popular lately.
American Rifleman just did a write up on the one's available now.

The best of the best for the money was the Marlin. Looks like the Ruger version, but about $200. less money.

There were some more expensive one's also, but none outshot the Remington.

Before buying one, check out the Remington, Ruger wants way too much for what is just a 10-22 dressed up.
The Remington has 30 rd mags available for it also from Rem.

Sig has one that looks like their 5.56 version, but it's pricy for a 22LR.

John K

Eric0424 12-14-2010 02:27 PM

Which Marlin rifle were they testing?? A link to the article would help, the only one I found was about a month old and didn't mention a Marlin but did have pictures of the Ruger, Mossberg, Remington, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig, ATI and HK. It was a short article that really didn't say much about any of the rifles.

northhike 12-15-2010 03:51 AM

Here is a site on tactical .22's : Tactical22.net - Tactical 22lr Rimfire Reference

rifleman55 12-15-2010 04:40 AM

Sorry, the rifle I was refering to is a Remington, not marlin, brain fa#t

Really neat rifle. It looks like you can put any AR buttstock and free floating tube on it that you want, but it comes with some decent one's on it.
A couple places are have it at $445. retail.
Of all the 22 Tac rifles tested, the Rem was the most accurate rifle.
I think it's a great deal for the price, much cheaper than the Ruger.

John K

DrumJunkie 12-15-2010 04:46 AM

I've not been able to join the tactical 22 bandwagon. I guess it's a matter of taste. I bought a used Marlin model 60 with a Fiberforce stock and had to replace the stock because I kept thinking I looked like I was getting ready to do a drive by on some rival squirrels.:p

They do sell well though so I figure I'm pretty much in the minority. I do like some of those fancy laminated wood stocks though. I bought a Predator Raptor stock for a 10-22 a while back. I hope to get a bull barrel for it at some point.:)

rifleman55 12-15-2010 05:32 AM

I want one just for fun.

My main 22 is a Savage MKII BRJ. It's one fantastic bolt 22 and darn good looking.
The stock really fits me well.

It shot.4" groups, 5 @ 50 stock. I sent it to SavageGunsmithing for their accuracy job.
It has now shot a best 5 shot 50 yd group of .117" on a good wind day and the trigger breaks like glass at 8 OZ and is safe.

I really make the CZ and Annie shooters mad, shooting such tight groups with a Savage. I love it :p

I also have a customized 10-22 which is a fun rifle, but it won't shoot with the savage.

John K

NGIB 12-15-2010 09:24 AM

I just picked up a S&W M&P 15-22 for my son. Haven't shot it yet but it's a nifty little rifle and I like the fact that it's been around for a while and is backed by S&W. Extra mags are available from CDNN for $17 - so that's a plus in my book...

ScottA 12-15-2010 06:35 PM

The thing that really sold me on my S&W 15-22 is the actual AR design. It makes take down and maintenance dirt simple.

7point62 12-16-2010 01:41 PM

I have the Colt M4 22 and have nothing negative to report except it's a little pricey, but anything with "tactical" on it costs more. I have the 20 & 30 round Umarex mags, have fired a ton of ammo through it (Win 36gr plated HP) without a single misfeed. I've found it to be very accurate and fun and cheap to shoot.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/Alryan/m4small.jpg

rifleman55 12-18-2010 05:45 AM

Don't blame you guys getting the S&W, I just wanted to point out that if trying to save some $$$, the Rem was the best for the lowest price, I have no doubt the S&W and Colt are better quality.

I've just had it with Ruger's QC and attitude as well as their policys.

John K