Survival Weapon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Survival Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Survival Weapon

If you watched the new movie titled, "The Road" the real shortage other than food was ammo. I am wondering if something like that really did happen, what if a person had a good .22 rifle or handgun and a boat load of .22 ammo, do you think that it would last and be able to protect you from animals, four and two legged? .22 ammo just seems the right ticket becuase it is so small and light. You can carry a lot and not feel the weight. Just wondering guys, what do you think?

Last edited by revandy; 06-03-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: more information

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #2

I think a .22lr has a lot of potential uses during a survival situation, especially the car broken down in the middle of nowhere type thing. The lowly .22 can deliver sustenance and a bit of protection. Great guns are available for a reasonable price, both handguns and rifles. The ammo is available and cheap and a lot can be packed into a small space.

For a SHTF situation, a .22 will have some use but I would not count on it for primary protection.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #3

Liked 1981 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

22lr is the ticket for emergency hunting. But I would also have a large caliber handgun for defense. A loaded pistol with a couple of extra mags would last a long time if only used for self defense. I would not trust my life to a 22.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've given much thought as to what survival firearm I would choose and I think I would truly consider using my Mark II. The Ruger will pack easily and you can carry a $hit load of .22 rim fire ammunition. A well placed shot with a .22 will stop man or beast IMHO.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ruger single six

My Ruger Single Six is in .22 cal. but also has a .22 mag cylinder. My Ruger is a very accurate handgun, easy to pack, and can shoot the .22 mag. round if needed. I think if there was a meltdown and I was restricted to only a few guns and ammo, the Ruger would be my pick for a meat getter, and if need be a last ditch protection gun. I have heard that it is not the cal., grain of bullet, or amount of bullets, but placement of the bullet. I sure would not want to get hit in the head with a .22 LR or Mag. round. But, I am not that good of a shot, especially in a high stressed situation.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

So the way i see it is that yes the .22 is small and my not stop a threat in one shot, however i have a very small .22 that has a 10 round clip. Short of a bear I do believe I will be able to stop anything coming my way. It may require a full clip but with being able to let off 10 rounds in a matter of seconds i dont think that will be a problem. I just went shooting the other day and for the heck of it shot a solid 4x4 piece of wood and it went through and through. Makes me wounder how much force a .22 has in realistic terms because i figure anything that can go through a 4x4 can do a heck of a job on the soft tissue of any two or four legged threat.

I started to ramble...in short if need be it may take more than one shot but i would trust a .22 if thats all i have.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #7

Is it an instant killer? It can be, however the shot has to placed exact. For an example that one inch area at top of a human's nose. If it is close enough to penetrate through, the medula is right to the rear and shuts down everything in the nervious system. Most can not be that precise when they shoot. I body shot like on a deer, even if in a vital area, they can travel a goody distance. A 22 LR bullet is easy deflected, and have seen at least one vital area hit ( left side uder a shirt pocket), follow a rib around and exit from under his left arm pit. This was fired from a Winchester pump rifle using a 40 grain high velocity round at point blank distance. A neckshot on a deer. the animal traveled almost .75 before running out of blood. It layed down twice before expiring the third time. A low behind the shouder deer 125# was instant death with a 40 grain bullet. Yep, it can do the trick, but then it sometimes fails with large animals. However, it covers a lot in betweens. Shots must be close up to use the advantage of velocity and tissue damage, along withcutting down the odds of deflection. I do make it a part of my survival plans and equipment, but do not depend on a single firearm to do all things. It is a little on the weak side for self defense.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 819

Hadn't really thought of it before, but it would make sense that the .22lr would become my primary weapon in such a situation. Large caliber ammo would quickly become worth its weight in gold. I would not want to fire any of my .40 or .357 unless I absolutely had to... let alone a larger, more expensive rifle caliber. Now if I have 5,000 rounds of .22lr, I've got something I can work with for a long time.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #9

I'm new and don't know a lot, but in the paper today there were 2 articles about fatal shootings. Both were from 22. Unless I am missing something, it does seem adequate for a lot of things.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My suggestion for a last ditch survival rifle would be a KelTec SU16. It's compact when folded and can fit in a backpack, shoots .223 and takes AR mags. I had one and it was dependable and an accurate shooter.

There's lots of stuff with more firepower, but this one makes a lot of sense to me. Especially since one of the main "Survival" rifle characteristics seems to require a small and packable firearm. It's also a big step up from .22 LR and I really like that idea.

They do cost more, but if it really ever has to do survival duty, what's your life worth?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams