Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Stupid question time (lever action .22)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Stupid question time (lever action .22)

In that rim fire rifles should apparently not be dry fired, how does one know when the last cartridge (without counting) has been expelled and the next racking of the lever will not bring a cartridge into the chamber hence leading to a dry fire situation?

I'm used to my S&W MP15-22 which of course locks open after firing the last cartridge. I'm expecting a new Henry Golden Boy .22LR tomorrow, and this question just came to mind. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 65 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I try to count my rounds but sometimes I get sidetracked and lose count. It will take many years of an occasional dry fire to show up any damage. You might want to invest in a new firing pin for when your grandchildren need it.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I try to count my rounds but sometimes I get sidetracked and lose count. It will take many years of an occasional dry fire to show up any damage. You might want to invest in a new firing pin for when your grandchildren need it.
I hate the distraction of counting rounds. I was hoping there was something obvious that made it clear that the last round was fired.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

When you hear the "click" you know its empty. Like Hawg says worry about something else as you are not going to hurt the gun with a few dry fires.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
When you hear the "click" you know its empty. Like Hawg says worry about something else as you are not going to hurt the gun with a few dry fires.
Okay thanks, I guess one click after every 16 rounds is probably no big disaster for a modern rim fire, quality rifle.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4485 Times on 2366 Posts
Likes Given: 255

most modern manufacture 22lr of decent manufacturer are designed not to be harmed by dry firing.

you can tell if yours is safe or not by two ways. either the chamber has a relif cut type slot where the firing pin comes out or the firing pin does not protrude past the bolt face.

most 22lr have that relief cut as its easier than machining the firing pin exactly right. you can check the firing pin protrusion by disassembling and pushing the firing pin out and seeing how far it protrudes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #7

Thanks Jon!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts

Not to try and steal this thread, but since this has to do with dry firing as well I figured id just slip it in here.

I just picked up my first rimfire and, not sure if it matters at all, I don't really like the idea of leaving it cocked after cleaning or pulling out and empty mag since the easiest way to get the mag out is my lock the bolt back.

Since right now I don't have nor really know where to get a snap cap for any thing other then shot guns, do you guys think it would be okay to use an already fired casing in place of a snap cap?

Old 12-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

You CAN use a fired casing, but really, an occasional dry fire will not hurt a modern, well made .22

Sitting on the sofa, dry firing over and over and over and over- that is another matter. Consider the Ruger 22 pistols- they must be dry fired to take them apart.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #10

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
You CAN use a fired casing, but really, an occasional dry fire will not hurt a modern, well made .22
I didnt think the odd one would, but they way I look at it is why let it happen more then it needs too?