Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Stupid question time (lever action .22) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/stupid-question-time-lever-action-22-a-54136/)

pedalmasher 12-25-2011 09:14 PM

Stupid question time (lever action .22)

In that rim fire rifles should apparently not be dry fired, how does one know when the last cartridge (without counting) has been expelled and the next racking of the lever will not bring a cartridge into the chamber hence leading to a dry fire situation?

I'm used to my S&W MP15-22 which of course locks open after firing the last cartridge. I'm expecting a new Henry Golden Boy .22LR tomorrow, and this question just came to mind. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me.

Hawg 12-25-2011 09:52 PM

I try to count my rounds but sometimes I get sidetracked and lose count. It will take many years of an occasional dry fire to show up any damage. You might want to invest in a new firing pin for when your grandchildren need it.:D

pedalmasher 12-25-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 659724)
I try to count my rounds but sometimes I get sidetracked and lose count. It will take many years of an occasional dry fire to show up any damage. You might want to invest in a new firing pin for when your grandchildren need it.:D

I hate the distraction of counting rounds. I was hoping there was something obvious that made it clear that the last round was fired.

hiwall 12-25-2011 10:01 PM

When you hear the "click" you know its empty. Like Hawg says worry about something else as you are not going to hurt the gun with a few dry fires.

pedalmasher 12-25-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 659727)
When you hear the "click" you know its empty. Like Hawg says worry about something else as you are not going to hurt the gun with a few dry fires.

Okay thanks, I guess one click after every 16 rounds is probably no big disaster for a modern rim fire, quality rifle.

JonM 12-25-2011 10:37 PM

most modern manufacture 22lr of decent manufacturer are designed not to be harmed by dry firing.

you can tell if yours is safe or not by two ways. either the chamber has a relif cut type slot where the firing pin comes out or the firing pin does not protrude past the bolt face.

most 22lr have that relief cut as its easier than machining the firing pin exactly right. you can check the firing pin protrusion by disassembling and pushing the firing pin out and seeing how far it protrudes.

pedalmasher 12-25-2011 10:45 PM

Thanks Jon!

kaido 12-25-2011 11:08 PM

Not to try and steal this thread, but since this has to do with dry firing as well I figured id just slip it in here.

I just picked up my first rimfire and, not sure if it matters at all, I don't really like the idea of leaving it cocked after cleaning or pulling out and empty mag since the easiest way to get the mag out is my lock the bolt back.

Since right now I don't have nor really know where to get a snap cap for any thing other then shot guns, do you guys think it would be okay to use an already fired casing in place of a snap cap?

c3shooter 12-25-2011 11:17 PM

You CAN use a fired casing, but really, an occasional dry fire will not hurt a modern, well made .22

Sitting on the sofa, dry firing over and over and over and over- that is another matter. Consider the Ruger 22 pistols- they must be dry fired to take them apart.

kaido 12-26-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
You CAN use a fired casing, but really, an occasional dry fire will not hurt a modern, well made .22

I didnt think the odd one would, but they way I look at it is why let it happen more then it needs too?