Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Stronger .22 rounds?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stronger .22 rounds?!

I didn't know they made these. Has anyone ever used them?

http://www.22ammo.com/hyper_v.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've used all but the Aguila. I've never noticed any difference in performance over standard velocity or high velocity rounds.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I've used all but the Aguila. I've never noticed any difference in performance over standard velocity or high velocity rounds.
Dang, I was getting excited for nothing.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam99x View Post
Dang, I was getting excited for nothing.
If you're hunting, you may see improved terminal performance, but I really only plink with .22s.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

those super max's look like a fun round to check out

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

There are several 22 lRs that are faster than standard- usually with a lighter bullet. I even have some spitzer (pointed) 22 LR, and 22 LR Wadcutter (real tack driver out to 50 ft) and some real heavy SLOW bullets.

HOWEVER_ thee is a problem- when you move to a HEAVY bullet, or a REAL fast bullet, the rate of twist of rifling may not be adequate to stabilize the super-duper- golly-gee-whiz ammo, Have shot some that would have a hell of a WOUNDING ABility, since rounds were going thru target sideways!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #7

Well I just had a friend tell me about some bullets he has. He has some that shoot really slow, like 750fps or so. He said that they are used to be quieter when you don't want to be loud. That would be good when you wanted to keep the noise down around where you're shooting. I guess it could also be used to keep noise down when you don't want to scare off game if you're going for multiple kills in one hunt.

EDIT:

Oh yeah! My girlfriend's uncle told me that he was watching TV today, and he saw someone shoot a target on bull's eye from 250 yards away with a .22 pistol!

I was like O_O!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The low sound ammo you are referring to is CB caps. It has .22 short bullet with lower amount of powder with correspondingly lower energy/killing power. The above poster is correct in that the hyper velocity, or the very heavy bullet ammo usually don't shoot as accurate with standard rifling twist rate of 1-16" for .22 rimfire. I've shot rabbit and squirrels with .22s all my life so have a pretty good idea of what shoots best for small game hunting. In low velocity, low sound ammo, the .22LR subsonic, or target ammo velocity level works great-especially for squirrel. The most consistant HV ammo I've seen is cci mini mag LR. Shooting ANY .22LR at 250 yards is for the fun of it, just that-don't try shooting game that far away with .22LR regardless of what bullet you use as the remaining energy is extremely low at that range.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i seen the aguilla rounds that dont have any powder in the bullet just have the primer to fire the bullet, ok. now is 550 fps enough to kill rabbit and squirrel and to what distance?

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
i seen the aguilla rounds that dont have any powder in the bullet just have the primer to fire the bullet, ok. now is 550 fps enough to kill rabbit and squirrel and to what distance?
A "buddy" was "telling me" that "he" uses these to clean the neighborhood of stray cats. Within 25 yards, it's a one shot kill. If not, there is absolutely zero recoil, so a follow up shot comes without any effort.

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 01-08-2009 at 07:01 PM.