Stove pipe jamming

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Stove pipe jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Stove pipe jamming

My ruger 10-22 stove pipes every 3-4 rounds. It's a brand new rifle with between 5-700 rounds through it. I've cleaned it well and tried different types of ammo? Any suggestions would be great I really don't want to have to send it back to rugers

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson2013
My ruger 10-22 stove pipes every 3-4 rounds. It's a brand new rifle with between 5-700 rounds through it. I've cleaned it well and tried different types of ammo? Any suggestions would be great I really don't want to have to send it back to rugers
What ammo are you using. Many .22lr semis wont cycle on the cheaper, low power stuff.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

Liked 252 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson2013 View Post
If its not a break in problem and it won' t feed any type of ammo it sounds like a mag problem. Many after market mags have feed problems. Try a factory mag or another factory mag. If this works try adjusting and polishing the problem mags feed lips.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 510 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I'm also wondering if you're using the Ruger magazines or something else.

Anything that is not steel lipped is going to jam. I've fired over a thousand rounds through my 10/22 with all types of ammo and in general it just doesn't have problems.

If you're using factory magazines and it is doing this, you may need to send it in.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanx for the input. It looks like I should send it in. It does this with all types of mags. I've also used lots of various ammo cheap or expensive it's all the same

Old 01-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Maybe something in this video will help answer your dilemma.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Liked 252 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Thanx for the input. It looks like I should send it in. It does this with all types of mags. I've also used lots of various ammo cheap or expensive it's all the same
Sending it back to rugar for warranty work would be a good first step. Often its just a bit of flash on the bolt where it strips the round off the mag, but its easy to make it worse if you don' t know exactly what your doing.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Sending it back to rugar for warranty work would be a good first step. Often its just a bit of flash on the bolt where it strips the round off the mag, but its easy to make it worse if you don' t know exactly what your doing.
His issue is ejection. That leads to more then the mag.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i had a marlin 795 basic and it would stove pipe about once per clip. i have used a wide array of high power .22 LR rounds and it didn't solve the problem. at first i found it comical because i hadn't ever laid eyes on a jam like the stove pipe and i eventually sold it out of frustration and got tired of scratching my head at the parts in my hand trying to figure out the problem. might be a part not sitting right. in mine i got as close as finding the general area of the cause and it was the recoil spring guide. you should check that area for anything out of place.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

check to make sure the recoil spring guide is not bent in any way. it is a small pin about 3 inches long. if you have 700 rounds into that .22 check it and if its bent try to replace it. mine was slightly bent and i replaced it from E-gunparts.com it helped alot but didnt fully cure the problem. its a start to check that.