Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Stove pipe jamming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/stove-pipe-jamming-81301/)

ThomasJefferson2013 01-14-2013 04:06 PM

Stove pipe jamming

My ruger 10-22 stove pipes every 3-4 rounds. It's a brand new rifle with between 5-700 rounds through it. I've cleaned it well and tried different types of ammo? Any suggestions would be great I really don't want to have to send it back to rugers

Jpyle 01-14-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson2013
My ruger 10-22 stove pipes every 3-4 rounds. It's a brand new rifle with between 5-700 rounds through it. I've cleaned it well and tried different types of ammo? Any suggestions would be great I really don't want to have to send it back to rugers

What ammo are you using. Many .22lr semis wont cycle on the cheaper, low power stuff.

dwmiller 01-14-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson2013 (Post 1093313)

If its not a break in problem and it won' t feed any type of ammo it sounds like a mag problem. Many after market mags have feed problems. Try a factory mag or another factory mag. If this works try adjusting and polishing the problem mags feed lips.

CrazedJava 01-14-2013 05:49 PM

I'm also wondering if you're using the Ruger magazines or something else.

Anything that is not steel lipped is going to jam. I've fired over a thousand rounds through my 10/22 with all types of ammo and in general it just doesn't have problems.

If you're using factory magazines and it is doing this, you may need to send it in.

ThomasJefferson2013 01-14-2013 11:01 PM

Thanx for the input. It looks like I should send it in. It does this with all types of mags. I've also used lots of various ammo cheap or expensive it's all the same

PanBaccha 01-14-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson2013 (Post 1093313)

Maybe something in this video will help answer your dilemma.

dwmiller 01-14-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson2013 (Post 1093746)
Thanx for the input. It looks like I should send it in. It does this with all types of mags. I've also used lots of various ammo cheap or expensive it's all the same

Sending it back to rugar for warranty work would be a good first step. Often its just a bit of flash on the bolt where it strips the round off the mag, but its easy to make it worse if you don' t know exactly what your doing.

jpattersonnh 01-15-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwmiller (Post 1093768)
Sending it back to rugar for warranty work would be a good first step. Often its just a bit of flash on the bolt where it strips the round off the mag, but its easy to make it worse if you don' t know exactly what your doing.

His issue is ejection. That leads to more then the mag.

marlin-owner 01-15-2013 01:10 AM

i had a marlin 795 basic and it would stove pipe about once per clip. i have used a wide array of high power .22 LR rounds and it didn't solve the problem. at first i found it comical because i hadn't ever laid eyes on a jam like the stove pipe and i eventually sold it out of frustration and got tired of scratching my head at the parts in my hand trying to figure out the problem. might be a part not sitting right. in mine i got as close as finding the general area of the cause and it was the recoil spring guide. you should check that area for anything out of place.

marlin-owner 01-15-2013 01:14 AM

check to make sure the recoil spring guide is not bent in any way. it is a small pin about 3 inches long. if you have 700 rounds into that .22 check it and if its bent try to replace it. mine was slightly bent and i replaced it from E-gunparts.com it helped alot but didnt fully cure the problem. its a start to check that.