Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Still doing my home work, for my first .22.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
Is it loud? That's another thing about the Marlin 795, it sounds like a B.B. gun.
Any un-suppressed 22 will sound identical. Of course semi-auto's will be slightly louder due to action opening at the time of bang. Its all about the ammo and the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Funny- my bolt guns and lever guns don't jam!
ZING!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #12

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a bolt rifle, it would make me feel like a sniper .

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #13

Just got back from a place here called Allen Arms, they have the Ruger 10/22 for $223 I am sold, I got a little bit more time with it, and I think I will be happy in the long run.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #14

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderdaddy View Post
I like that, Still as accurate as the day you got it too isn't it
You bet and with a .22lr you can shoot all day on the cheap!

And regardless of the caliber, time spent putting led on target makes you a better marksman.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
Just got back from a place here called Allen Arms, they have the Ruger 10/22 for $223 I am sold, I got a little bit more time with it, and I think I will be happy in the long run.
You will be a lot more happier with the Ruger, I'd say. So many options to choose from. And very reliable. Although you will have to see what brand of rounds it likes the best. I still have mine from 1975 and have never had to replace anything as far as parts and guesstimate over 10,000 rounds through it..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
You will be a lot more happier with the Ruger, I'd say. So many options to choose from. And very reliable. Although you will have to see what brand of rounds it likes the best. I still have mine from 1975 and have never had to replace anything as far as parts and guesstimate over 10,000 rounds through it..
So when you say "rounds it likes" does that mean each gun has a different "taste" even though they're made by the same company?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #17

I had a stock 10-22 and it shot poor groups. Bought expensive Kimbers and Coopers. They shoot outstanding, but you don't want to shoot them since they cost thousands. they are only good to look at.

I settled for a Savage Mark II in SS with syn stock. Nice cheap gun, shoots well, rust proof and don't care about putting a scratch on it any more than I would worry about a scratch on my circular saw.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry. Bolts and levers CAN jam. Maybe not as often as semi-auto's but they do. And when they do they're usually harder to clear in my experience.

Any number of things can cause a 22 semi to jam. It doesn't mean they're a pice of junk if they do. It could be simply that the ammo you're shooting is lower powered for one reason or another. The next box of the same stuff might shoot just fine. The ammo might have just a very slight variation in the size of the cases. Again the next box might be fine. 22 ammo is cheap, they make thousands and thousands of rounds at a time and they can't check it all. Some brands are better than others, and some brands work better in one rifle than they do in another. So ammo is a variable.

The rifle could be dirty. Or it could need to be lubed. Or it could even be overlubed which leads to dirty. Generally speaking keep it lightly lubed, and clean and it will run better.

The rifle (or handgun actually) might need to be "broken in." Again, most 22's are inexpensive. That means they don't get a lot of hand finishing. Shooting them is the best way to have the parts rub together and "wear in" so they fit together just right. So don't give up on a new gun.

Oh, and a new gun usually needs to be cleaned before you shoot it to get the packing/storage grease/oil/crud out.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #19

Thank you all, I have decided on the Ruger 10/22. I found it at wal-mart for $197, going to go pick it up tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default Homework

After ya do your homework, buy the Marlin Model 60, U will be pleased!