Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Steel Target Thickness? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/steel-target-thickness-34900/)

xKantor101 11-28-2010 11:41 PM

Steel Target Thickness?

I'm trying to build a steel spinner/reset target for a ruger 10/22 and maybe a marlin model 981T if I can talk my dad into getting one.I'm not sure what thickness could stop a 22. at a minimum of 25 yards. And it should withstand about 500+ shots a weekend. I'm thinking maybe 3/8 steel should work.

masterPsmith 11-29-2010 01:20 AM

1/4" will work fine for .22 long rifle rounds.

Jim.........

Ronbo 11-29-2010 01:31 AM

The winchester spinners at walmart are 3/16 i think. They are not adequate for low maintenance shooting in that amount. In fact, the small one in the center was shaped like a cereal bowl in short order on the first session we used it. I hammered it flat and it did the same thing even after i reversed it. Today i shot a .223 right through it from 50 yards just because i was mad at it...lol....not that mad....it spun a lot faster too! You see, it already had a partial hole in it from normal .22lr that i hammered back in last night. What i'm saying is don't use 3/16 mild steel like winchester did, or you'll be repairing or replacing it. For 15 bucks it's okay, but you can build better.

xKantor101 11-29-2010 02:07 AM

yeah i saw those and my dad does alot of metal work so if it for some reason did need replacing we could replace it. anybody have any plans of how to build one? ive been looking at pictures but im sure that building it would be alot easier with actual plans or even some up close pictures of the reset lever

Ronbo 11-30-2010 01:55 AM

If a spinner is what you want, a walmart 15 dollar one would be good to copy in heavier materials. They work well as reactive targets, just not for high volume shooting. for one thta resets, just google and find a good one to buy and make a heavier copy of. Somebody here may have experience with one that is perfectly good for what you want. If not, get a cheapy and copy it in heavier stuff...as good as having plans. I didn't use any plans for my backstop or shooting benches...just started thinking and building. Maybe your dad can do the same with metal.

The durasoft target for 15 bucks at walmart is a good deal. We have put WAY more rounds through it (including .223 rounds) without any significant damage.

kenhesr 11-30-2010 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Ronbo;394359]If a spinner is what you want, a walmart 15 dollar one would be good to copy in heavier materials -- for one that resets, just google and find a good one to buy and make a heavier copy of -- get a cheapy and copy it in heavier stuff...as good as having plans.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ronbo nailed that one! I had the same problem. Wanted a reset target that I could shoot with my 9mm AR-15 without destroying it. Bought a cheapie and scaled it up, works fine.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...h_reset001.jpg

In your case you could just buy one and have your dad cut off the cheap 3/16" circles and weld on some in 1/4" or 5/16". Don't want to get them too heavy of they won't loop up & over onto the reset bar. Good Luck, Ken

gadrooning 11-30-2010 06:00 PM

keep in mind that steel plates are easy enough to make, but spinners need a little more attention for them to work properly. You have to remember that it takes a certain amount of force to spin the target. Too much weight will not spin it at all. If you want I will draw up some basic spinner patterns and plans and post them for you. I don't mind helping out someone ambitious enough to make it themselves.

xKantor101 11-30-2010 08:39 PM

i think i might just buy these and shoot them till they are worn out then take them home and make it stronger Set Of 2 .22 Cal. Auto Reset Targets, Shooting Supplies, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide anybody try these?

Ronbo 12-01-2010 01:53 AM

I think i will try and weld an x bead on the back side of the offending middle spinner, after i fill the hole back in...lol. I'll let you know how it affects the spin and durability in a few days. I like the little one the best because it spins so much faster than the two larger ones.

xKantor101 12-01-2010 03:09 AM

i found a 2 set with a small spinner and a reset on sportsman guide and i think i might ask to get them for when i build a 50yd range on our land in indiana