Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   starting off (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/starting-off-66717/)

ztuinei 06-19-2012 08:06 PM

starting off

What is the best rifle to start off with ?

kytowboater 06-19-2012 08:07 PM

Welcome the the forum, how about dropping by the introductions section and saying hi.

ztuinei 06-19-2012 08:11 PM

So suggestions?

sputnik1988 06-19-2012 08:16 PM

Kind of broad there. What do you want it for? What is your budget?

If you are new to guns all together I would stay away from semi autos... They promote spraying of rounds and a lack of accuracy in a new shooter.

I have a bolt action Marlin 15 22 and love it.

Also consider a Henry lever action.

kytowboater 06-19-2012 08:41 PM

Agreed bolt action is the way to go. If not a single shot. Rossi makes interchange barreled single shot guns. .22 up to .243 is what I have seen and .410 to 12 gauge.

pioneer461 06-19-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztuinei (Post 842058)
What is the best rifle to start off with ?

What's best depends on you. Do you know what you want to do with it? Targets, plinking, small game, ______?

Have you thought about bolt action, or semi-automatic?

There are gazillions of great rim fire rifles out there. My first .22 rifle was a Marlin model 60 semi-auto, I bought in 1976. A "humble" beginning to my modest collection. I've since added a couple of others, as well as a Ruger 10/22 custom gun that I have invested way too much money in :cool:.

I took my Marlin out of the safe just this past weekend, with it's cheap-o Bushnell 3-9x40 scope that has been on it for over 20 years, most of that time in the safe. I measured out 50 yards, set up my target stand and bingo! That little Marlin was still zero'd spot-on at 50 yards. I ran about a hundred or so rounds of ammo, of vatious kinds through it, and the groups remained nice and tight, less than 1 moa. It shoots as well as my Ruger on a good day. I had forgotten just how well it shot.

Marlin still makes them, and there is no reason to think their products have gone down hill since 1976. I have two other Marlins (.17 HMR and .30-30) and they all perform perfectly.

longunner 06-19-2012 10:01 PM

Agreed go with the Marlin m60 its a great rifle and its cheap too...don't think they make them in bolt action though.

moron88 06-19-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNARG (Post 842198)
Agreed go with the Marlin m60 its a great rifle and its cheap too...don't think they make them in bolt action though.

not the 60 but they do make a tube fed bolt, the xt-22tr. however, there has been some quality issues with newer marlins, specifically ones made in Kentucky in the remington factory. i have no first hand experience with them though.

you can get a nice gun used if you know what to look for, or even if you dont. i got a 34 year old glenfield mod 60 (glenfield was used by marlin for their budget guns. they have the same actions as the marlin-badged guns but usually have different stocks and some other minor details) last week for $100. the metal bits have rust scattered all over but otherwise, its a great gun. some say the older guns are more accurate than the newer stuff. my grandpa has a nice marlin bolt, more accurate than i, he says the one he had before it was more accurate.

check he local gun shops, any shop worth it's salt will do what they can to steer you in the right direction and they may have something on sale or used in really good condition.

ztuinei 06-19-2012 11:18 PM

I have never shot a Hung ever in my life and have a budget of 200 and only for Target shooting thanks for the suggestions

moron88 06-19-2012 11:37 PM

that will get you a marlin 795 (same action as the 60 but detachable 7 or 10 round box mag instead of the 14 round tube), a second mag, cheap case and a brick of ammo. or if used is an option, you could probable get your hands on a bolt with scope for $150.