Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Start them young

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Start them young

My grandson a week before his 3rd birthday, shooting my grandfathers 1890 Winchester 22 Special.

Since then he has gotten one of the Cricket rifles, and he thinks he is Daniel Boone.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

masterPsmith Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #2

He does not lack confidence.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

We started our grandson when he was three. He is now 7 and can out shoot his father. He very seldom misses, even out to 100 yards on cans with his 10-22. We occasionally do the impossible shots thing with him and he does great. He especially likes splitting playing cards and shooting the tips off of Q Tips at 20 to 25 yards with his 10-22. He is a very disciplined shooter. He also knows all the range commands and uses them when he shoots.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Quantril,

God Bless you Grandpa! And what a Dude you have there! Look at the intensity on his face as he lines up the target! Priceless!
It does my heart good to see your pictures. Thank You! Brings back memories and a tear to my eyes today seeing your pictures and remembering my Grandpa who is responsible for my addiction to the Shooting Sport, Hunting and Fishing. I know without a doubt you are creating not only a legend but some of the best memories that little guy will ever have. And will remain with him forever. And I feel clear on saying it will have an effect on the rest of his life! I applaud you for teaching him and spending the priceless time with him! I have my Grandfather's 1890 Hex Barreled Winchester 22 that his father bought for him.
We should all take a lesson from this Thread!

Thanks

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-21-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #5

My daughters were shooting when they were 6, and both of them carry now. I have 2 teen age granddaughters, and they both shoot, I have 4 grandsons, 2 close, and 2 on the west coast, at least the 2 here will be shooters. The other 2 I dont get to spend time with enough to know what they will become.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Quantrill,

I have seven grandchildren. All but two here that do not get the chance to shoot except when they come down once a year on vacation. I always make a point to get out the 22 rifles while they are here. The others I have made it a family tradition that after they have got the safety issues down pat! At Christmas at the family get together I buy them their first semi auto rifle which normally is a Ruger 10-22. All but the two now have a 10-22. It is something that they really looked forward to. Last year I built my grandson in Indianapolis a Rock River 9mm AR Carbine to shoot on the indoor ranges in the winter, since most of the indoor ranges will allow pistol caliber ARs at their facilities.
And of course he shoots it and a Beretta 92F outdoors in the summer.
Good for you! For loving your family, taking the time and promoting the shooting sport and our second amendment rights!
They are the voters of the future to protect our heritage!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy