Springlfield model 87A .22 LR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Springlfield model 87A .22 LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

PLEASE HELP!!!! new to this forum so bare with me. Just recently purchased a Springfield model 87A LR it's tube fed semi auto. I bought the gun real cheap so it was kind of a no brainer. If anyone knows anything about the gun like history, mods, scopes or anything id appreciate it. Thanks
Cam

Last edited by cam_ouflage94; 03-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you still are checking this thread, cam_ouflage94; I'm sorry I didn't see your question earlier. The 87A, in my opinion, is one of the under-appreciated jewels of the post-war firearms business. Of course I'm prejudiced, I learned to shoot with my Grandfather's Springfield back when I was a mere seven-years-old. I grew up with that gun on the family farm; plinking, busting old cans, popping crows and starlings so they wouldn't run off our songbirds, harvesting cottontails for variety from the fried chicken that made up many of our meals, and "sniperizing" ground hogs who ate our cash crops and feral dogs who came after our young livestock. I rarely shot anything but .22 shorts in it, the longs were too expensive for my budget and Long Rifles might have been made of platinum for all I say of them. I don't know what it's MOA might be (could be HOURS of angle for all I know!), but I got pretty good at hitting little-bitty stuff with little-bitty bullets through the Buckhorn sights of that 87A. Don't bother looking for a serial number on it; to the best of my knowledge they never had them for some reason. If you need parts or a parts list check with Numrich and there are dis-assembly videos on U-Tube. I know this because I still have my Grandfather's gun and am in the process of restoring it. The Springfield 87A may not flip the gun-snob's switches but for those of us who grew up putting lead downrange with one it's still a pretty dang good gun. I hope you are enjoying yours!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

jebsca Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #3

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The 87A was made sometime in the 40's. There are no mods, no custom stocks, no nothing. If you want to scope it it will have to be drilled and tapped. One neat thing about it is you can push the bolt knob in and the bolt wont retract when you fire it so you can use it as a single shot or as a bolt action.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Rifles and shotguns made prior tot he 1968 Gun Control Act were not required to have serial numbers. Most lower cost guns did not have them.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My cousin left me a "30's" Stevens 87A...... Love that old gun!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxRomantic View Post
My cousin left me a "30's" Stevens 87A...... Love that old gun!
The 87 wasn't introduced until 38. The 87A came sometime in the 40's.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
The 87A was made sometime in the 40's. There are no mods, no custom stocks, no nothing. If you want to scope it it will have to be drilled and tapped. One neat thing about it is you can push the bolt knob in and the bolt wont retract when you fire it so you can use it as a single shot or as a bolt action.
Very true and that is also the only way to successfully shoot .22-short ammo in the 87A. If you don't lock the bolt it only partially extracts giving you the infamous "sideways-stovepipe". I've always been puzzled by the double extractors on this gun; the only reason I can figure out is that there were variances in the rim sizes that made having a hook on two sides of the bolt necessary. For a "budget" rifle the quality of the metal work on these things is amazing compared to some of the half-baked engineering and finish work on modern rimfires. The only one I've seen that comes close is my Henry lever-gun and that has polymer in a couple of places that surprised me (inner magazine-tube follower) though they don't seem to affect the operation.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan