Springfield Model 87A -Need Information
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Springfield Model 87A -Need Information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Springfield Model 87A -Need Information

I own a .22 short/long/long rifle (semi-auto in LR) marked as a "Springfield Model 87A - J. Stevens Arms Company - Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA". It has four patent numbers on it but no serial number. It is a rather slim rifle with a tube magazine and small, lockable bolt knob. Since it was my Grandfather's rifle and the first firearm I ever shot (at age seven), it has great meaning to me and I really would like to restore the gun. I also remember it being very accurate and I personally dispatched many groundhogs and rabbits with it as I grew up.
I really need some reliable information about the piece and locate some parts for it. The pot-metal trigger guard crumbled away almost 25 years ago and the old plastic butt-plate cracked in half way before that! All of the original blued finish is long gone and the wood of the stock is in dire need of sanding and refinishing. I want it to be a shooting, working firearm again, something I can pass down to my Grandchildren with pride after I get finished enjoying it again.
Does anyone have any assistance for me in this quest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Numerich has it listed in their catalog. good 1st stop for parts.
www.gunpartscorp.com

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=851

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #3

Should have thanked you earlier Drriley; I have sent off for some parts already and have downloaded the schematic. Thanks to you, my grandfather's gun fill be firing again soon.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #4

My first rifle and only inheritance from my father was a Sears variant of the 87 and some years ago purchased a Savage model 6 (forunner of the 87) that is in considerably better condition that the one I used and abused as a kid growing up. They are good, solidly built 22's with some quirks. I don't know if you noticed but if you fire the rifle and don't let the trigger return the bolt stays open until you release the trigger. There is a ton of history and information about these rifles at: RimfireCentral.com Forums > Other Rimfire Guns > Savage>Vintage Savage, Springfield, Stevens. I have bought parts from Gun Parts and both of mine are still clik/claking away.

Rocksocker

Old 09-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #5

I have one of these rifles also. It shoots very accurate. It is one of my treasures. They were manufactured from 1939 to 1968. Sincerely,JimB

Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #6

I thank all the members who have given assistance and encouraging comments. Now, one more question: the original finish is almost completely gone from this rifle; mostly from hard wear over the years and some from my younger sister trying to "shine it up" with steel wool sometime in the 80's before I retrieved it from her well-meaning but ignorant efforts. While a new bluing is a possibility, I wonder if one of the new, very hard coatings like Melanite would appropriate since it is to be a "working gun" and not a gun-safe queen. Any thoughts would be welcomed.