Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Springfield model 56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Default Springfield model 56

I aquired this from my grandfather about 4 yrs ago and it had no magazine and loading it by had is a PITA , I have tried a couple differnet mags with nothing that would fit properly ,$50 on mags that didnt work so why not another $20 more . and with a little bit of work on the mag and modifiying it slightly I now have a 10 rd mag that functions properly . It is supposed to be a 10 rd but the gun doesnt like 10 in the mag and works just fine with 9 in it .
The mag is a savage .17/ .22 model # 2005

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-11-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

Very nice gun what did you have to do to the clip to get it to fit tho?

(remington scoremaster a.k.a "squirrelmaster")

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXtacticalrimfireXx View Post
Very nice gun what did you have to do to the clip to get it to fit tho?

(remington scoremaster a.k.a "squirrelmaster")
There is a metal tab on the gun that goes in the front and back of the mag grooves . I had to bend the back one back a couple mm's and I had to lightly file the sides of the bottom plate on the gun to let the mag fit in it , the metal attachment pieces that stick thru the side plates of the mag rubbed the bottom plate on the gun and the back of the mag wouldnt go in easily . Also you cannot remove or install the mag when the bolt is closed , it has to be open and I think that is because of the working internals when the bolt closes the top of the mag goes in the bolt grooves . I must have had this thing apart 50 times last night making it work properly and doing it right without butchering it up and making it look like crap . also this mag goes in at a funky angle it doesnt go straight in or out , it goes in and out easily you just have to pull it in the direction like the mag is shaped

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.