So WTF? Still no .22 ammo - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

So WTF? Still no .22 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3318 Times on 1982 Posts
Likes Given: 2476

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
whats with all the hate on the people that buy a lot of .22 when given the chance?
personally, there is no hate from me. i just wish there was a bit more sense of "community" in the shooting sports. in other words, try and get rid of the mindset "i got mine, screw everyone else!" of course, you should buy what you need and use, but a reduction in use among 25-50% of gun owners for 3 months would have a HUGE impact, and benefit all. when the shelves get full again, the panic buying ceases.

the idea of rationing in shortage was once something americans understood. i'd say the mindset is completely opposite of that now.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #22

Liked 3318 Times on 1982 Posts
Likes Given: 2476

Quote:
CrazedJava;1614719]It's not hate, it's annoyance.

One of the biggest problems I've seen with gun owners is "I've got mine. Tough luck!"
thank you. exactly right imo.

i hate to say this, but many gun owners completely ignore THEIR PART in creating these shortages. they seem to want to blame everything else.

PANIC BUYING (rushing to get all you can all the time)/HOARDING (which is buying and storing large amounts and not shooting imo) is AT LEAST 50% responsible for these shortages. it tends to make many gun owners angry at the thought that we are a big part of problem.

scalpers and production are a part of the problem, NOT the whole problem.

Quote:
It amazes me that so many gun owners decry anti-gunner liberal progressives as "selfish" but go nuts when their favorite caliber becomes hard to find. A lot of the panic was caused by gun owners. The current .22 shortage is caused by gun owners who continue to buy every last round of .22 they are allowed to or can find.
and i am VERY thankful that stores set limits on ammo. sadly, it seems to a degree that we must me treated almost as children to get ourselves under control. i really wish that major sporting good stores would just keep the purchasing limits year round. if someone needs cases of ammo, let them pursue that at gun stores and specialty ammo stores. sounds harsh (and sad to say), but at least you'd never have to worry about being about being able to get a couple hundred rounds for practice now & then.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22385 Times on 12492 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will continue to believe that the best way to counter the problem is to refuse to buy from those who buy and simply are gouging others.

i refuse to pay a gougers price for ammo and will do without before i allow one of them to profit from me.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #24

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i will continue to believe that the best way to counter the problem is to refuse to buy from those who buy and simply are gouging others.

i refuse to pay a gougers price for ammo and will do without before i allow one of them to profit from me.
I never participated in that game. Paying more than what I consider reasonable just inflates the price for everyone else. Not only am I spending more than I should but I'm screwing the rest of the market by helping set a bad precedent.

At the same time, I didn't flip ammo. If I knew you and you wanted to go shooting, I kept enough on hand I could spare a couple hundred rounds. If I took new shooters out, which I've only had occasions to do once so far, I brought plenty with me to shoot because .22 is such a non-intimidating round to break people in on.

Basically, I tried to do what I wish others would do rather than just complain about how crazy everyone is acting.

The good news is, most of the people I shoot with have been the same way. Not everyone is like that A-hole in Academy that I mentioned. Unfortunately, it only takes a handful of those a-holes to screw the rest of us.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #25
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default sadly

And Sadly it continues. instead of getting better the Gougers are more frequent. The Gouger Shop here not only brings all three Employees but their spouses and in Ones case, his Kids as well. Just buys up everything in the Ammo Shelf, which is now Behind Locked Glass Anyway. Only Shotgun Ammo is out on the regular shelves...which is great if you want 12/20/410 Ga. but not so great for the rest of your shooting.
just one more item on the list of things that make me mad. I have stopped buying 22 currently, as I have enough to practice w/200 rounds for the two of us each weekend up until the Match on the 16th. Then i will either be shooting from "emergency reserves" or not shooting. I was able to grab 1 325 can of Fresh fire Federal Champion, which I like better then their American Eagles,..still have about 300 rounds of AM's, and now 525 of the champs,..plus one whole 525 brick in the reserve. I'll be shooting the can, and 2-222 boxes of Winchester, plus my loose 50 rd. boxes until the fall,...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #26

Here's a little ray of hope.

.22 is still going fast. I have within my immediate area 2 different Wal-Marts, a Bass Pro, Academy, and Gander Mountain. All but Academy sell out quickly. Maybe Gander Mountain, I don't go in there often. There are also 2 LGS but I don't browse in there often either.

Academy I am a regular just because their pricing is good and the rationing has worked. If I didn't care about price I could easily pick up 100 rds. a day. Problem is I shoot the cheap stuff because I'm mostly what would be called a "plinker". The cheap stuff runs out the fastest but they've had some sort of .22 on the shelves for months now. Bulk packs go first and then you can watch the cheaper stuff get whittled down.

I know this isn't true of all areas, but I can find .22, I just can't find it in the quantities I used to. Pre-panic I was picking up a box of 50 rds. every week along with my other ammo purchases. It was only $2 so it was no big deal. Every now and again I would pick up a bulk pack, especially when Wal-Mart had the occasional sale (Oh those glorious days!)

So I'm buying more expensive "cheap" stuff ($3 a box for CCI Blaser) but I've picked up 100 rds. a week consistently and sometimes I get lucky and find a bulk pack. They have other brands for $5, $7, $10 a box for 50 rds. Generally more than I'm willing to pay but it's the more quality stuff and it's not outrageous.

If there are scalpers in my area I suspect they will be ending up with a lot of product they'll need to unload soon. In North Dallas there is no reason to pay a scalper. I've heard some areas around the country are even better. The situation is improving, but it's taking a really long damn time.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22385 Times on 12492 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my hope is all the scalpers and gougers end up stuck with their over-priced ammo when the market returns somewhat back to normal. then they will have either two choices, sell it at a normal market price or keep it.

i have some 22 ammo. not as much as i'd like to have, but actually i don't have a pressing need for it that not having it is a serious issue. i'm not letting the scalpers and gougers have influence over what i buy or don't buy.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #28

Liked 2222 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I haven't walked into a big box store looking for ammo in years. I prefer certain brands and types of ammo. The only big box store that has ammo I prefer is bass pro shops. The closest Bass Pro to my house is a 3 hr drive. We have a Gander Mountain and a Dicks nearby. My wife has to drag me into either store. She wanted to give me a 22 mag for my birthday a couple years ago. The only way she could get me into Gander Mountain to point out the gun was to reschedule a sedation dentists appointment during store hours.

I buy all my ammo online. I am tired of messing around with local shops.

Calling ahead does no good when searching for ammo locally. A friend and I found 22 ammo locally. We actually prepaid via credit card for the ammo before making a 60 mile drive. When we got there the store clerks just said sorry and refunded our money. This is not the first time we were told a shop had ammo at a fair price to drive a long distance to get no ammo.

Paying a shipping fee to an online vendor is a bargain compared to the aggravation of trying to buy ammo locally.
djont57 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Paying a shipping fee to an online vendor is a bargain compared to the aggravation of trying to buy ammo locally.
I hear you and that's not a bad philosophy. Unfortunately, when I look online I have to order in significant quantity to make the shipping costs balance out even with what I pay in gas. I simply don't spend a couple hundred or more on ammo at a time. I could do it that way, but not sure how my hoplophobic wife would feel about 300 rounds of .45 showing up on our doorstep either.

Also, it's not an option for folks who don't have much money. Which I kind of don't with two older kids in all sorts of expensive activities, I stick to a strict budget.

Now I did go do my weekly run and it was a one stop shot again. 100 rds. at Academy and I was fairly confident when I walked in they would have some. Grabbed a box of .223 while I was at it because that still kept me under budget for the week and life is good. Just hope I actually get to go shoot sometime this month. The only thing I have less than money is time.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2828 Times on 1567 Posts
Likes Given: 4493

The guy at the Lawton Wal-Mart gun counter is in cahoots with the scalpers and scam artists.