So WTF? Still no .22 ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > So WTF? Still no .22 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have some .22lr that I stacked up like 5 years ago its not alot but thats most of what my kids used to shoot . Now a days I make them shoot .223 and 9mm because at least I know I can replace that easily .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Liked 3137 Times on 1873 Posts
Likes Given: 2188

it is a little better this summer than last summer. improvement of any kind is good at this point. i've had decent luck finding 50 round boxes of 22 at decent prices, even at regular shopping times of the day. of course, i realize that regionally y'all see very different things.

nothing much to be done, but hold the course. shoot a bit less, refuse to overpay.....

Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Now a days I make them shoot .223 and 9mm because at least I know I can replace that easily .
hmm....were you around at the last 223/9mm shortage? i was in the market for a 9mm awhile back and seriously thought about another caliber cause 9mm was gone for at least 6 months.

of all the calibers, 223 and 9 has been the MOST frequent to disappear for months at a time during my short time in the shooting sports.

i don't ever remember 22 vanishing before this shortage? i think the duration of this shortage is truly what has everyone scratching their heads...

in the last shortage, the only "safe" calibers seemed to most hunting bolt cartridges (22-250, 243, 270, 30-06 etc) and shotgun shells.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #14

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

30-30 is still really slim in my area. Very weird.

The local Academy gets shipments 3 days a week. I usually can't wait on the truck but people do. They wait as soon as the shipment hits, buy their limit, and move on. There are people who still wait around at Wal-Mart for the shipment.

I just go at my usual time. If they have something, great, if not, oh well. As long as I pick up a few rounds every week I'm happy. Usually if I find something I stop looking for the week. These guys who just wait around are the problem. Not sure how they have the time, most of them look like regular joes with real jobs.

I do know some people who bounce from store to store buying up a few hundred to a thousand rounds a day. Not sure how they do it or have the time. It's not everyday, they'll have maybe a couple of outings a week.

At this point though, why? I'm just picking up a 100 rounds here, maybe a bulk pack there, just so I stay ahead on my shooting. I also share with other shooters I know. If you already have several thousand rounds, why the continued obsessive hunting of .22?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 1816 Posts
Likes Given: 2002

.22lr, .380 and .30-30 are still low in inventories around here, but you can find some now & then. Everything else (popular calibers) seems available.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

yeah, the 30-30 drought is a bit weird. it is finally back here. but i noticed 30-30 disappears EVERY deer season here.

and good point, if you have enough 22 for next 4-5 range trips....you SHOULD chill out a bit! i'm at about that point, so i look for 22 very casually.

scalpers are still doing their thing though, so someone is still buying from them. ask any counter worker at a sporting goods store.....they will tell you....SAME 3-5 guys buying up the 22 each morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
30-30 is still really slim in my area. Very weird.

The local Academy gets shipments 3 days a week. I usually can't wait on the truck but people do. They wait as soon as the shipment hits, buy their limit, and move on. There are people who still wait around at Wal-Mart for the shipment.

I just go at my usual time. If they have something, great, if not, oh well. As long as I pick up a few rounds every week I'm happy. Usually if I find something I stop looking for the week. These guys who just wait around are the problem. Not sure how they have the time, most of them look like regular joes with real jobs.

I do know some people who bounce from store to store buying up a few hundred to a thousand rounds a day. Not sure how they do it or have the time. It's not everyday, they'll have maybe a couple of outings a week.

At this point though, why? I'm just picking up a 100 rounds here, maybe a bulk pack there, just so I stay ahead on my shooting. I also share with other shooters I know. If you already have several thousand rounds, why the continued obsessive hunting of .22?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
.22lr, .380 and .30-30 are still low in inventories around here, but you can find some now & then. Everything else (popular calibers) seems available.
yup...until the next panic....

Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

whats with all the hate on the people that buy a lot of .22 when given the chance?
im against all those that buy it for the purpose of reselling!!
but for me i used to shoot thousands of rounds of .22 a year...
ive had to greatly reduce my .22 shooting to what i can replace or just 50 rounds at a time. where before i could use a brick an outing.
if i have a small amount and i find 22 im buying all i can IF its affordable. regardless of how much i have on my shelf.

just like food, most people usually go shopping before they run out not after.

i know ammo makers are scared to increase facilities due to the possiblity of drop in purchasing. but as best i can tell. if they were to make more .22 facilities. alot of us would keep them with full wallets and we would all be much happier.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 08-05-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #19

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
hmm....were you around at the last 223/9mm shortage? i was in the market for a 9mm awhile back and seriously thought about another caliber cause 9mm was gone for at least 6 months.

of all the calibers, 223 and 9 has been the MOST frequent to disappear for months at a time during my short time in the shooting sports.

i don't ever remember 22 vanishing before this shortage? i think the duration of this shortage is truly what has everyone scratching their heads...

in the last shortage, the only "safe" calibers seemed to most hunting bolt cartridges (22-250, 243, 270, 30-06 etc) and shotgun shells.
yes I was around , but I had a vendor that still had both available during the shortage to select people . .22lr is still not available around me on the shelves unless your willing to pay $60-$70 for a box of 500 and Im not willing

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #20

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

It's not hate, it's annoyance.

One of the biggest problems I've seen with gun owners is "I've got mine. Tough luck!"

Not accusing you, but seen it plenty. When the panic started, someone went to the local Academy with a shopping cart and literally did an arm sweep of all the 9mm, .45 ACP, and .223. When other shoppers started staring he just sneered back "Survival of the fittest!"

I know people who literally have 10,000 rounds of .22 who are still out hunting damn near everyday. At a certain point I think it has become habit, but at the same time, how about giving others a chance? Not even saying stop buying, but maybe stop buying EVERYTHING.

I buy more than I shoot, but I share what I buy when I can. I'm not hoarding it, I just keep a supply on hand so I can shoot when I want to. I don't feel the need to go to every sporting goods store in my area every day.

It amazes me that so many gun owners decry anti-gunner liberal progressives as "selfish" but go nuts when their favorite caliber becomes hard to find. A lot of the panic was caused by gun owners. The current .22 shortage is caused by gun owners who continue to buy every last round of .22 they are allowed to or can find.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

coronadrinker85 Likes This