So what is a .22 good for? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > So what is a .22 good for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100 View Post
Im more intrested in a semi auto
Oh, you mean like the Marlin 60s they carry for half as much money?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #62

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Oh, you mean like the Marlin 60s they carry for half as much money?
Or a marlin 795?

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #63

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My use for the .22

Recreational target shooting (shooting at marks) wonderfull tool for kids to learn shooting.

If you want to make shure somthing is dead or wounded the first shot use a shotgun, you want to surgically remove somthing from its surroundings use a .22Lr (coon in hen house).

Rural setting the .22Lr is a usefull tool in disposing varmits round the barnyard mainly racoons and opposum & fox around the chicken coop, coyote round the hog house and calving yards.

The .22lr is a mite on the light side for hunting racoon (70% effective) I hunted allot of Coon and if given the choice to trade up to a .22mag I'd a done it as a kid.

Usefull on cottontail's and jack rabbits and badger, beaver, skunks & civet cats, wild cats and dogs.

.22Lr Rat shot is effective on mice and voles and rats (so is a cat) and snakes.

The .22lr is what I use when a critter is too fast/wicked or stinkey to club with a stick.

I dont recomend useing a .22Lr on squirrels & bats in the attic of your home

I kinda like the old Remingtons, the Nylon 66 and the 572 are wonderfull guns. My new Fave is the Taurus model 72 stainless carbine

photo0851.jpg   photo0857.jpg   image016.jpg   image017.jpg  

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-05-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #64

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100 View Post
Like what?
Off hand, squirrels, rabbits, rats, ground hogs, moles, raccoons, possums, various and sundry nuisance birds, snakes (2, one was a copperhead with bad intentions), a skunk (from quite a distance and it took 3 or 4 shots), and one other critter which was either a mangy feral cat or a chupacabra.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #65

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Mossberg that was some kind of bolt action training/target rifle, a model 42b which my Dad and I picked up when I was a boy. It made more sense than an auto, my finances being what they were then! It taught me to use a scope and make the first shot count, altho I could pop em off pretty fast. I still have that rifle and the "eye-hand interface" has never been forgotten by my muscles, even tho I moved on to other, more powerful arms.
A good .22lr can be very useful for poppin off small game and (I'd never EVER do this and you ought not either!) sometimes taking larger game at very close range to the brain. Will also screw up a wannabe mugger's night. There is a lot of good ammo out there to experiment with. The other good thing is of course pistol, revolver and rifle training/familiarisation.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #66

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have currently have a number of firearms in my possession- pistol, revolver, long guns (bolt action, semi-auto, and single shot) in different center fire calibers and rim fire calibers (22 short, long, long rifle, and magnum as well as .177 HMR).
I truly enjoy my rimfire guns the most with emphasis on my .22's. They're cheap to shoot and will "discretely" take care of any pest- stray dog or cat, squirrel invading my bird feeders, opossum, raccoon, and rat- that shows up in my backyard. Depending on which gun I'm using- pistol or long gun- they'll be also used for plinking cans, bottles, and tennis balls as well as punching holes in paper at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Also, fair to excellent condition .22's can be acquired used and new for prices between $50 and $1500+. All households should own at least one .22 in one form or another.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #67

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by somawas
Have currently have a number of firearms in my possession- pistol, revolver, long guns (bolt action, semi-auto, and single shot) in different center fire calibers and rim fire calibers (22 short, long, long rifle, and magnum as well as .177 HMR).
I truly enjoy my rimfire guns the most with emphasis on my .22's. They're cheap to shoot and will "discretely" take care of any pest- stray dog or cat, squirrel invading my bird feeders, opossum, raccoon, and rat- that shows up in my backyard. Depending on which gun I'm using- pistol or long gun- they'll be also used for plinking cans, bottles, and tennis balls as well as punching holes in paper at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Also, fair to excellent condition .22's can be acquired used and new for prices between $50 and $1500+. All households should own at least one .22 in one form or another.
Agreed on that last part bout everu house having one.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotater38 View Post
As for those crows just remember that bullet has to come down so just know what might be down range from where you are at. If there are people or houses close best let those crows go.
Wasn't a .22 in this story I guess, but a .22 shot at tree tops could go a long way.

Ohio Man Cleaning Gun Killed Amish Girl, Sheriff Says | Fox News