1) Training-especially weapons orientation and familiarization. A great
caliber to help the gun-shy, or newbies to overcome their misgivings
2) Target-incredible fun, very inexpensive to shoot. An afternoon
plinking usually won't run more than 20$ in ammo, but 40$ to
60$ shooting binges are epic.
3) Practice- many like to use a 22LR which is very similar
to their larger bore hunting rifle to hone their marksmanship
in the off season
4) Fun for the whole family-women and children are attracted
by the ease of use, and family shooting competitions are
5) Hunting-Even medium size game can be taken while preserving
the integrity of the hide and the meat.
6) Pest Control-Everything from mice to raccoons, porcupines, and
7) Pack gun-makes a very viable lightweight alternative for
a good stalker who's a fair shot.
IMHO, a good .22 rifle and pistol are at the core of any decent
gun collection. (as in "shooting" guns, not actual collectibles)