Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Smith and Wesson- 22a (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/smith-wesson-22a-44607/)

Boyerracing343 07-01-2011 11:23 PM

Smith and Wesson- 22a

Anyone got any information on how these shoot?

Worth $250 or should I stay away from it?

Thanks guys.

dnthmn2004 07-01-2011 11:48 PM

Never shot one, but there are better 22lr handguns for a little more. If your looking to sling lead down range, go for it. Another good lead slinger is the Walther P22 - not the most accurate but fun to shoot. If you want an accurate 22, look for a Browning or Ruger.

Boyerracing343 07-02-2011 12:20 AM

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

stalkingbear 07-02-2011 04:10 PM

I've shot a couple model 22a that was friends' and I wasn't impressed with the reliability or accuracy. Also I couldn't get used to the mag release button's location. For just a little bit more you can get a new Ruger.

roscoguy 07-03-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyerracing343 (Post 532815)
Anyone got any information on how these shoot?

Worth $250 or should I stay away from it?

Thanks guys.

Depends what you expect of it. I bought the 7" model a few months ago & have had no problems after the first 20 rounds or so. It's quite accurate with the right ammo & 100% reliable, too. Even so, it's not a "match grade" pistol I suppose, but that's not what I really expected from a $250 gun anyway. I'm just shooting for fun and can hit golf balls @ 25 yards all day! :)
As with ALL of my handguns, I checked for fit & obvious rough/tight spots before & after the first trip to the range, and stoned, filed, polished and/or lubed a few spots. (Missed one on the slide...:() Also buffed the feed ramp to a mirror shine. I'm sure all this helped with the reliability.
The finish is painted over the stainless steel & aluminum rather than blued, but it's not a bad looking gun IMO. It's also VERY easy to break down for cleaning. The built in rail makes mounting a red-dot or other optics a piece of cake.
The mag release is in an odd position, but it's easy enough to use & not that big of a deal to me. All in all, I feel it's a great bargain & a fun gun to boot!

BombDoc 07-03-2011 11:26 AM

I've had one for a while. The recoil pad needs replaced regularly. It's only a few bucks but it requires frequent inspection and replacement.

That's basicaly retail pricing on the one you're looking at. Better deals are out there. Better pistols are out there. For that money I would buy a Ruger MkII or MkIII and be much happier for it.

cpttango30 07-03-2011 04:14 PM

The killer for the 22a was that stupid place they put the mag release. Really in the middle of the front strap who thought that was a good idea.

Revolver-time 07-14-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 532844)
Never shot one, but there are better 22lr handguns for a little more. If your looking to sling lead down range, go for it. Another good lead slinger is the Walther P22 - not the most accurate but fun to shoot. If you want an accurate 22, look for a Browning or Ruger.

I do have one along with my Rugers, and a Smith 41. The 22A shoots as well as any and better than some. You can get them for under $300. The sights are a bit large but they work well for my aging eyes. Get yourself one, you will be happy.