Small 22 slow fire - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Small 22 slow fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Charles,

add in that both the Ruger and Browning lines have lots of options.
a revolver can be made to work with a suppressor.
the Ruger Mark1-3 series and browning buckmarks both allow for aftermarket, extremely lightweight, barrels that come threaded for a suppressor. these can be added by yourself without the need for a gunsmith. I'm not sure if the 22/45 series offers that option though.

agree with the slow fire should not be an issue as long as your technique is sound, which it prolly is. few actually have limp wrist issues while using a 22lr pistol

Old 02-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
They do make .22LR revolvers ya know. It might be more your style. They have some that are little pocket-sized things that look almost toy-like. http://www.impactguns.com/north-american-arms-the-hogleg-1860s-conversion-22-lr22-mag-6in-barrel-ss-finish-naa-1860-250.aspx
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I want to put a supressor on this gun so I don't scare the hell out of the wildlife or draw attention to myself. In my opinion a large caliber revolver is your most reliable choice for defense.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlinn View Post
R you set on a semiauto? Ruger lcr line has sweet 22 lr and 22 mag models that are about the lightest I've ever felt. Very easy to carry. But not sure about a suppressor on it. Other than that I feel ruger, smith, or browning are all great 22 s and you should see what feels best in your hands and buy a new one. Not sure where your at but for trail gun a revolver is nice for snake shot too, as that round will not cycle through a auto.... Jmo
Your feedback is appreciated JMO. I hadn't thought of the S&W. I carry about 25 lb. of photo gear when I in the swamp (FL) so weight is a factor. I'd just like to get back into what I did as a kid in Washington state.

thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It occurs to me that with a revolver in .22, you might not really need a suppressor; you could just use the subsonic rounds to limit the audible "bang" to your very immediate area.

I do love my GP-100, but i use it for target plinking not defense.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

The Ruger auto pistols come with a variety of barrels, both length and diameter- which adds a LOT of weight to a target pistol. They are also available with an alloy frame.
alloy-mk-111.jpg

22.8 oz empty

ruger-mk-iii-slab-side.jpg

45 oz empty

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 682

22/45 lite. Poly frame, aluminum upper, threaded, 1911 grip. Most of the HV ammo will not go sonic in the short barrel so good to go on the suppressor. Change the stinking bushing so the mag drops and it improves the trigger. I put a Bam Bushing in mine. Disassembly and reassembly is not for the faint of heart. Read the instructions and watch the Utube videos. It can be screwed up big time. Mine has a Bushnell TRS25 sitting on it. I have a Tactical Solutions HMK holster that takes the scope. Other choices would be the SR22 If they are threaded and the S&W M&P 22 which is threaded. I had too many problems with the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #17

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
22/45 lite. Poly frame, aluminum upper, threaded, 1911 grip. Most of the HV ammo will not go sonic in the short barrel so good to go on the suppressor. Change the stinking bushing so the mag drops and it improves the trigger. I put a Bam Bushing in mine. Disassembly and reassembly is not for the faint of heart. Read the instructions and watch the Utube videos. It can be screwed up big time. Mine has a Bushnell TRS25 sitting on it. I have a Tactical Solutions HMK holster that takes the scope. Other choices would be the SR22 If they are threaded and the S&W M&P 22 which is threaded. I had too many problems with the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^There's your answer....

Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

yup,
JTJ hit it on the head.

buckmarks can be done in a similar manner as well. I believe that there are aftermarket threaded barrels for the ruger as well as a buckmark. I'm not sure if one can easily swap out a ruger barrel like the buckmark allows but sounds like you have options to research. let us know what you decide and how it comes out

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Charles,

As C-3 previously stated they should shoot fast or at slow fire. I have a Browning Buckmark at the present and in the past have owned Hi Standards and Rugers. I like the pistol very much and have a light weight barrel for it that is a piece of cake to change out. It is a Tactical Solutions Threaded Barrel should I ever want to buy a supressor for it.
Recently I did have some problems with some Remington Green Box Bulk ammunition my cousin had purchased at Walmart. It would shoot in my gun but not in my counsins gun. So we traded ammunition and he has some of my CCI. So ammunition can cause a problem even in 22 cal.
All the above pistols are a great choice! Maybe it is because I have a Benchmark now but I like it a lot. I also liked my HiStandard Victor Model of the past! Wish I had not have sold it. But needed a new Remington 40X rifle so needed money for that! Good luck on your choice!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #20

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Get a Ruger MkIII or 22/45 depending on your needs (weight vs build). There are several varied configurations in each. Other options on the table are the colt woodsman, browning buckmark. These are all "slow fire" pistols built for target shooting. However, I've put a whole brick of ammo through a Ruger MkIII as fast as I could load the mags and empty them and it never even hesitated. Wound up with a fist sized hole at 10 yards. And I'm a novice shot. You just cant beat that kind of performance.

Its because they're overbuilt and made to be shot.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 02-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.